Gibson Les Paul owners, need your opinion.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MusicEnthusiast, Dec 14, 2010.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I was considering upgrading my guitars (I have already upgraded my acoustic), and now it's time for an electric. My acoustic upgrade is a Seagull Original S6 which has a slightly wider neck than some Epiphones. So I am comfortable to a certain degree when it comes to width. I heard Les Pauls are heavy guitars (up to 8 or 9 lbs), and have a wider neck typically. These don't seem to worry me too much, but I haven't played one in person. So maybe some insight from actual owners would be nice.

Anyways, I was looking into the Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus Iced Tea Burst for $2300 at guitar center. I might try to find one on my local craigslist ads, but guitar center sounds okay too. Here's the link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Plus-Electric-Guitar-104912340-i1400047.gc

I was compelled to look at the traditional because Gibson had the idea to incorporate all the original Les Paul qualities from the 50s (like the '57 humbucking pickups and asymmetrical neck). Is this worth buying? I watched a demo on YouTube and all the different styles are just so cool! It's like a blues, jazz, and hard rock guitar all in one.

2. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Ebay has em for $2100 with $50 shipping, by the way. The buyer's protection seems pretty nice, but do you think playing one in person is better since Mahogany differs in sound from each actual guitar?