GIFs - I really miss them now I've gone to Android

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Mildredop, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Whilst I had an iPhone, the GIFs in iMessage were awesome. I might be in my forties, but I thought they were a great idea and there is a GIF for almost anything.

But iPhone wasn't for me and I went back to Android. Several months on, I still miss the GIFs.

I mainly use Whats App to send messages. Why are GIFs not supported? Or are they...?

2. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Wait. GIFs aren't supported?

I've been on Android for over a month now and I never realized! I guess I just haven't tried to send a GIF since getting an Android phone. But now that you tell me -- I'm very disappointed. I was having a great day. :) :p
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2017 ---
    Wait a minute.

Just found this.
    http://www.greenbot.com/article/314...th-the-google-keyboard-in-android-nougat.html

I have this functionality in my phone. Never realized it was there til now. Do you have it?

3. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I have them on my LG V20 running 7.0. I don't use them though--not on my iPhone either.

Mike

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

My husband and I would miss the stickers we bought for iMessage. But sometimes he spams me with too many of them and I have to throw a bunch of poop emojis at him to get him to stop.

Sometimes it's nice to have just plain text and a handful of emojis.

5. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Google has (animated) stickers in Android Messages... I don't go crazy with them but if I prefer over GIFs, where I never seem to find one that actually fits the conversation.

Mike

6. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

I was about to say, GIF search (similar to iMessage) is in Gboard keyboard on android and iOS

7. Sevanw, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

Sevanw macrumors 6502a

Sevanw

Whatsapp does have gif support. In fact, you can choose gif, and do a search for whatever gif you want to use while in a message. Very easy.

20170311_103255.png

8. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh! Can you explain how?

9. Mark316 macrumors member

Even the stock Google keyboard and messaging app supports GIFs, just press on the emoji button on the keyboard and the gif option is at the bottom.

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

1) Click the smiley face (To the left of "Type a message" field)
    2) Tap Gifs (it's bottom center for me)
    3) You can use the search button after entering the Gifs section (bottom left for me) to search for gifs.