GIFs slowing down Safari/OSX?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by micrors4racer, Nov 13, 2012.

1. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

Do you guys find that gifs make safari/osx work extremely hard? I am often on the website Tumblr which has alot of gifs and I find that after a while my browser gets extremely slow and unresponsive with activity monitor reporting high cpu usage from "safari web content". The rest of my system is not affected like browsing on finder or using other apps.

2. Knara macrumors member

As I scroll further down the endless webpage content on tumblr's dashboard, I notice CPU and memory usage goes up and up. I imagine it would be less of an issue if I could get tumblr to paginate instead of making one long, continuous page, but I haven't cared enough to look into it.

3. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Same experience.

4. micrors4racer thread starter macrumors 6502

Theres a setting to use pages instead of infinite scrolling if you go to your settings. I used to use this when I had an old powermac g5 with only 1gb of ram. Having pages does eliminate the problem as it doesn't keep the gifs active on the ram.

I guess its normal then. Just sucks that our powerful machines can be brought to a crawl by a blog site lol :rolleyes: