Gift Card Dilema: Apple TV, Hard Drive or Nano?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agbyaj, Jan 4, 2009.

1. agbyaj macrumors newbie

I received a $200 Apple gift card for Christmas and I am trying to decide what to get. Hopefully a healthy discussion here will help me out.

I see three choices:

1) Apple TV
    It would only be an extra $30. My problem with this is that I am not sure it is worth, what are your ideas?

2) External Hard Drive
    I do not have one of these and I am pretty sure it would be a good idea to get one for back-ups. I am also planing to migrate to a new computer within the year and an external hard drive could be beneficial.

3) Nano and Nike+ combo
    I recently purchased Nike+ shoes and decided to take up running. I do not have an iPod that is compatible with them. But is this worth it? They would just be used for running. And I have a 1st Gen shuffle that I've used in the past for working out.

I appreciate any feedback you guys could give me. Thank you.

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I think we should cross number 3 off. You already own suitable alternatives.

As for the apple tv, I love mine, but you gotta realize how you can get the most out of it. I use mine to view my ripped dvds that are streamed from another computer. I also use it to play music in the living room. I think its a neat toy, and I really think it would be neat if it only cost me $30. :D

The hard drive, well they say its not if one is going to crash on you, but when. If you dont already have a good backup program in place then now might be the time to get one going for free.

So basically it comes down to business or pleasure. I usually am prone to go with pleasure, but in this case my ocd is yelling to go with the hard drive. Just think of all the stuff you can lose if your drive decides to bite it.

Just my very humble opinion.

3. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I say number 3 because you already have those Nike shoes.

4. south8212 macrumors 6502

right now i would say none of the above.

The appletv is due for an update so i would wait on that one.

IMO externals are rather expensive at the apple store and you can get much better deals elsewhere.

The nano is cool but if you have a shuffle i would stick with that for running.

Basically if I were you i would wait until something i really like comes along. My advice anyways.....