Gift Card Refund Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VisualBasicImp, Feb 10, 2010.

1. VisualBasicImp macrumors newbie

To make a long story short, I asked for one for a macbook pro christmas, and got a fully loaded C2D machine with a 15" screen, 3.06 Processor, and a 7200 RPM HDD. It was beautiful, and ran wonderfully. However, I broke my only rule regarding computer purchases, I went on the internet a couple days after getting it, and heard about the imminent i5 update, and was instantly jealous.
    Luckily (or, perhaps, no so luckily) the hard drive died a few days later, to no fault of my own. I took it to the nearest apple store, and they refunded me on the spot.
    As this was a custom machine, bought on a credit card, I was given the option of either returning the machine in store for in store credit, or mailing it back to apple for a refund to the card. I chose the former option, partly because of my belief that the i5s were due, but also because I really didn't trust the mail system with what could potentially become a $2500 headache.
    However, as this computer was originally a gift to me, meant for me to enjoy, it seems wrong to basically sit for a few months with a piece of plastic waiting to finally be able to spend my money on a christmas gift that is now two months overdue.
    I guess my question is, is there any way i can get this card's balance converted back into the original credit card, or is this type of thing final?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Scenarios like that are almost certainly final. You could of course always just go buy the current model again if you feel bad about it, but I would guess that the person who got it for you wants you to have something you'll like, and if it makes you happier to wait, then that's probably not an issue. Of course, it's impossible to speak for someone else, so their opinion on the issue may be very different.

jW