Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hello there,

I orderer a rMBP from the US (I'm staying here with family for a couple of weeks), while still waiting on my rMBP to arrive I just noticed that my $100 gift card won't work because my iTunes account is not from here. Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Create US account.
Redeem it.
Buy Apps.

Btw, I'm not sure, but I think you can gift apps the same way you can gift Apps from iOS App Store to your friend, so try gift it for yourself.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Create US account.
Redeem it.
Buy Apps.

Btw, I'm not sure, but I think you can gift apps the same way you can gift Apps from iOS App Store to your friend, so try gift it for yourself.

That'd be a great solution, unfortunately I can't find how to do so. Anyone knows if this is possible?

EDIT: I see now how to gift apps, but it isn't possible to gift apps between countries. :(

Last edited:

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
You don't even need to gift apps or anything.

Just make a US account using your US address (in this case the relatives you're staying with) and enter your card code as the payment source.

You can simply log into that US account whenever you need to download/update the content. This can be done on iPods, iPads and iPhones, too. I have a couple of different Apple accounts because I live in multiple countries and I haven't had a problem.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
You don't even need to gift apps or anything.

Just make a US account using your US address (in this case the relatives you're staying with) and enter your card code as the payment source.

You can simply log into that US account whenever you need to download/update the content. This can be done on iPods, iPads and iPhones, too. I have a couple of different Apple accounts because I live in multiple countries and I haven't had a problem.

So whenever you need to purchase or update you change between accounts? Is it easy to do so on the mac and the iphone? Do i need to provide a US credit card to create it?

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
So whenever you need to purchase or update you change between accounts? Is it easy to do so on the mac and the iphone? Do i need to provide a US credit card to create it?

It's very easy. You just scroll to the bottom of the store and sign out/in.

Oh and you don't. Simply don't add a billing option when making the account and put in the gift card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.