Gift Cards and Debit Card when buying iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eXpress, Dec 25, 2007.

1. eXpress macrumors member

I was reading about using gift cards to buy the iPhone and read how Apple will not accept cash or gift cards on iPhone purchases. Then, I read how Apple will accept gift cards provided you pay for a portion of the iPhone with a credit/debit card. This makes sense because it was stated that the reason they do not accept all cash or gift cards is that the phone would be "untraceable." After reading this, however, I still read forum threads that said one store would not accept part credit card. I can understand not accepting all cash or gift card, but there is no reason to not allow partial credit card instead of full. Basically, I just want some confirmation from people who have recently purchased an iPhone. About 75% of my phone will be paid for with gift cards so I will not be a happy customer if turned down.

Thanks

2. SpankWare macrumors regular

Let us know if you were able to make the purchase with the partial gift card payment. I did that on my iPhone but that was just before the policy change. I had $300 in gift cards and payed the rest on my credit card. As long as they get the trail it shouldn't matter.

3. mingenyx macrumors regular

4. dedzombie macrumors newbie

just picked one up last night from the apple store with gift cards + visa worked fine, initially they told me gift cards couldnt be used, then the manager came over and said as long as some is on a card its fine, good luck!

5. fonz500 macrumors member

ANSWER !!!!!

This works. I used $310 worth of gift cards yesterday and the rest on my debit card. It worked like a charm....

I love my new iPhone !!!

6. diamonddods macrumors newbie

I had a thread on this a week or so ago.
    My local apple store (prov. RI) would under no condition accept anything but a sole credit card purchase for the iphone.
    Then I ordered it from 1800-my-apple with gift cards.
    I guess it's just who you deal with...

7. mabiem macrumors newbie

My purchase went the exact same as dedzombie.

First the cashier said no...then the manager came over and said we could use gift cards if a portion was put on CC.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got $300 in gift card and the rest on my Visa. :cool: