Gift for Dad - Great Lenses for a Nikon n2000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NacaValley, Feb 19, 2012.

1. NacaValley macrumors newbie

Hello,

My dad just pulled out his old film camera(Nikon n2000) from storage about a month ago & has been shooting some photos with it off & on. He hasen't used it since the early 90's but always talks about how much fun he had with it. He has taken a lot of B&W photos, landscape & portraits when he work for a newspaper.

My question is what kind of lens would be nice for me to get him as a birthday gift? I have only used digitals most of my life & know very little of manual style lenes(though I do use manual settings) I can go has high as $750. He doesn't take many action/sports photos.

Also, where would be the best place to take the camera to have it cleaned up or does it even need a tune-up? He lives in the Houston area & I live in East Texas(Nacogdoches) It has been sitting in various containers, boxes, & bags with different room temps/humidity, through various moves & such. It has no visible signs of rust or damage & still works good from what he has told me. To be honest, I wouldn't know if it needed work.

- Scott

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious but what lenses does he currently have? ;)

I guess a couple of sweet primes would make him a happy camper?

3. Bear macrumors G3

If I found the right information, the N2000 will not work with G lenses. And I'm not sure if VR lenses can be used, but the VR function won't work.

A Nikon G lens has no aperture ring. The aperture would be controlled from the camera body.

The question really is, what lenses does he have? And what would the camera be used for? That would help answer what lens might be good to add to the mix.