Gift from grandma :)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Meldar, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

My grandmother is having some major housework done, involving the total removal of the storeroom (basically a basement but above ground, as there is no actual basement). This has prompted her to get rid of nearly all her otherwise useless possessions, so when she found "some computers" I was naturally the first one to get a phone call.

Turns out she had an old Macintosh LC II sitting in there, and in keeping with her usual kleptomaniacal tendencies, she isn't entirely sure where or when she got it or how long it's been in storage. Nonetheless, it's there and was clearly stored with the intention of being used - pizza box, monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables and all. There was even an old serial external CD drive, but I'm not sure if that was meant for the old old Texas Instruments laptop in the storeroom. I suppose it will work with the Mac, right?

Anyway, I had to leave for college, so I put the entire setup in the cargo hold, headed back to school, and set up my room in the house; now the computer's in a strange location (on a storage crate next to my bed) but it's all plugged in and guess what - it works. Perfectly, I may add!

Well, there's a catch, actually. See even though it is running OS 7.5.1 and boots/loads normally, it is also running At Ease 1.0 and therefore in order to load normal Finder I need a password, which I certainly don't know and I doubt my grandmother does. Any hints on that would be appreciated, by the way.

I'm still working on finding out its exact specs, since without full Finder and UI I can't really find that. I do know it has a roughly 10MB HDD (at least it appears to) and it couldn't be running faster than about 25MHz. Monitor is fine, color's good and no odd flickering or artifacts - pleasantly surprising! The sound is kinda weak but it works too. The down arrow key sticks so I gotta take my pocketknife to it. Cosmetically, the whole thing unfortunately looks awful. Time and smoke have gotten to it, but luckily I opened it up and the smoke damage is minimal, if any at all.

Any suggestions for cleaning the casing a bit? I'm okay with a slight yellowish tinge if it's absolutely unavoidable.

I've taken a bunch of photos too. I've got a good DSLR but didn't want to use the flash, so apologies for the somewhat dark or grainy photos.

Album is here

I'm not looking to sell this, but can't help but wonder how much it might be worth...

Just thought I'd share my lucky find with MacRumors!

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Try holding the shift key at startup to disable the extensions and at ease, you should be able to enter the finder. Maybe there is an at ease extension in the extension folder that you can remove.
    Also you can reinstall the system if you have the installation floppies.

3. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

I don't have the installation floppies but I do have the complete System 7.5.3 as .img and .bin files from Apple's archive, but my only other machine that reads floppies (and is not back at my parent's place) is a temperamental old Dell. Also I like the fun old games loaded onto this machine.

Thanks for the extension-disabling idea. I shall try that. It seems reasonable. I suppose if I were then able to enter Finder I could just get rid of At Ease. Ah the early days of limiting student computer use. I am almost positive this was a school machine, as my grandmother was a music teacher, and this machine has Finale 2.6.3 on it.

Thanks for the advice!

4. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Ah I decided to check LowEndMac for some info about this thing. A 32-bit 68030 on a 16-bit data bus seems a bit strange but now I know it's actually 16MHz. Crazy. Also when I said 10MB HDD I meant RAM, apparently. I'm also not sure if it has a FPU but I suppose it won't really matter for me.

Also it's close to as old as I am. :D

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Great find, its a keeper. I wanted to have those when I have the space... :D

6. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Nice but you might want to put some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel or cloth. It should help with the brown stain things/marks.

7. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

8. 95yjman macrumors member

95yjman

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Oh cool...

At Ease, I remember that now, they used those a lot on the Performas - the interface looks awfully a lot like one that Apple is currently using... :eek:

;)

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This system was my first computer. The max ram it could recognize was 8MB. Original price? $1400...

EveryMac.com

Dale

11. .md macrumors member

.md

I would give my left arm for that machine, they're so rare to find these days...

12. Amerabian macrumors regular

13. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I used these in high school. I helped my teacher upgrade the ram on like 12 of these. They were still being used up till I graduated in 1998. She taught keyboarding and desktop publishing on these machines. I always thought that they ran so much faster than the pc I had at home at the time, a 486 33mhz.

14. swedefish macrumors 6502

Congrats on having a cool grandma. My gradma gives me nasty candy and feelings of guilt when I secretly dispose of said candy in "hazardous waste". :eek:

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I had a 486 with 33mhz too, back in the early to mid 1990s........gosh. It feels like the Jurassic era, and, in technological terms, it might well have been.

OP, great story, great find, and make sure you are able to take the time to enjoy & savour your treasure trove; your grandma rocks.

16. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

My computer was given to me in 1994 by my parents. It was the cheapest computer we could find that allowed for payments without any finance charges. My parents paid $900 for the computer and we got a Tandy (Radio Shack) monitor and color printer. The color printer was a dot matrix color printer. Crazy now that I think about it. The computer was an AST Advantage! The quality was terrible. That computer didn't come with a sound card, CD-ROM drive, or a modem. I remember I got radio shack to add the cd-rom and sound card for me because after my trying to do it myself with several kids from wal-mart, it just didn't work. There was something terribly wrong with the chipset on that machine. I can't remember what it was but even radio shack took weeks to get it worked out. The HD failed once, the memory failed another time, and there was a third time when something else blew too. I can't remember. Oh yeah, it was the motherboard. It fried. I had everything replaced in that thing (almost) except for the external case.

17. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

18. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Sorry that this is a bit off topic, but I had to say something ;)

It breaks my heart to see someone shooting auto with a DSLR :(

You can do it in manual with a lower iso, and you won't get graininess. Also, you can open up your aperture if you don't want to deal with having blurry images.

19. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Thanks kbfr. I am paid to be a photographer and computer technician. I know how to use my DSLR - enough, in fact, to know that the lens is broken :(

I NEVER shoot in auto, lol; this is totally manual but the sensor is too small to allow a decent ISO in low-light. Also I used a "normal" JPEG setting instead of RAW, since I didn't feel like editing photos of an old computer.

Thanks though, your advice is well-placed! I'll just do my best to get a new lens first, though.

sigh, as I write this, I'm monitoring another thread documenting my MBP woes...and here this was undoubtedly used and abused by middle schoolers for years, then put in a dirty smoky storeroom for years more. And here it is fine and dandy. gosh I sound so old.

20. dqfayi macrumors regular

I have been reviewing cases to buy my father in law for his new ipad 2. I thought the book style would be a good choice, perhaps fitting his age group well. After reading this entire thread, i've come to this conclusion. First my eyes are bloodshot, you people are nonstop about this case. Unless I've missed something special, I'm going to buy something else. Hope you got your own case as me.