gift ideas for girlfriend

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Sep 15, 2016.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hey MacRumors, seems like a silly question but I'm stumped at the moment!

just wondering whats a nice gift I can buy my girlfriend? I will also be in Japan in a few weeks so if anyone can think of anything I can only buy there that would be amazing as well. I have about $400 to spend!

I would go the jewelry route... but I know absolutely nothing about jewelry and would probably get ripped off.

Any and all advice would be awesome!

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

I always think a nice colourful yukata makes a great gift.

3. Scepticalscribe, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What does your girlfriend like?

I ask that as a woman with very clear and - emphatic - tastes. There are things I like, and things I loathe; woe betide anyone who was silly enough to buy me something that advertising suggested women would like (milk chocolate, cut flowers, etc.).

This is an area where the defence of 'it is the thought that counts' does not apply.

Do not under any circumstances get her something she does not like, and will not rate.

Discreetly find out what she likes - or would love to have - and buy that.

Decades and decades ago, in their dating days, my father bought my mother an excellent wrist watch (American - in those days American watches had a reputation for affordability, quality and reliability) on the one trip he took to the US in his life; she treasured it.

Another gift was what used to be referred to as 'a record player' - by the 70s the word 'stereo' (on account of having two speakers) replaced it. The record player - a very good one made by Phillips - she also treasured, and was used by us until we wore it out in our early teens.

My point is don't buy 'jewellery' unless you know - and I mean know - her preferences in that area.

Personally, I loathe intricate jewellery, even though I recognise and applaud the craftsmanship that went into it; my tastes are severely plain, and very high quality.

So, find our whether she prefers plain - or ornate - jewellery? Does she want something useful (say, a watch) or something decorative? Is gold her preference - and if so - what type? (White gold, yellow gold, rose gold, or red gold?)

What about precious stones? Again, personally, I am not a fan of emeralds, or pearls; yes, they are beautiful, but I don't like them. Rubies, sapphires, I do like, preferably plain and stylish. Diamonds, if understated but seriously good, yes, of course.

The upshot of all of this is that nobody can advise you until you come back with some sense of what your girlfriend likes; then, within that, suggestions can be offered, and advice tendered.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're going to buy a gift, buy something that applies to her and not just a generic gift - that way regardless of how small or how big, it's going to be special. I'm not saying you can't get an expensive gift, but if you are, it has to be something would mean something to her in some way or something that she can use in her life otherwise it just comes off as a money thing (I think everyone knows this).

When I went to Paris, I got something as simple as a few pieces chocolate because she mentioned a very well known chocolatier there and wanted to try but she had no plans to go to Paris any time soon. Total cost was about $30.

On another occasion, I got her a scarf from Hermes because she got a job at a high end department store and it would work well with the required dress code there.

Both are examples of how something cheap and expensive can work as gifts without really having to do with money. At the end of the day, don't buy a gift for the sake of buying a gift. It should be thoughtful.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Am I the only person on the internet that just asks the person what they'd like?

6. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

a gift card from tesco :D

/sorry, couldn't resist

7. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

8. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yeah, a trip, an event, a concert, skip the material doodad, go for something you and her (and just her) can _experience_. Even a spa day, massage, etc., if you think she'd like to do something on her own.

9. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I did a parachute jump and I would say go that route it's brilliant and the views put a smile on your face.

However if you can do a hang glide do that of the two that's a bit more chilled.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What on earth does she like? What are her interests, her hobbies?

What does she love - love to do, to listen to - to read? What would she like, but will not buy for herself?

Last year, for Christmas, my brother got me a ticket (an excellent seat) to a live concert by Ennio Morricone, whose music I have long loved. That counted - to my mind - as an excellent present, one, moreover, which took account of my musical preferences.

11. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

If you want to keep it a secret do not ask her, ask her parents what she likes.

12. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

A lot of good feedback from you guys! Thank you so much.

She bought me an expensive, but still meaningful gift for me for my birthday this year so I want to return the favor! I'll put on my thinking cap, dig deep, and come up with something great and update this thread when it happens!

13. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

OP, this is great advice. i know people like surprises, but i'd rather be gifted something i want or need. can you ask her?

14. Scepticalscribe, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, but what I a trying to say is that a lot of men are idiotically blind when it comes to buying gifts for their significant other.

Surprisingly, (or perhaps not) over the years, there have ben several threads from guys about what to buy their girlfriend. I have yet to read a thread started by a woman asking for advice on what to buy her (male) partner.

Focus on her - her personal references - not her gender.

Many guys make the mistake of thinking that she will like something that marketing says women will like, but you need to open your eyes to what she would like.

And, don't touch jewellery until you know - and I mean really know - what she likes and what her personal reference are; few things are worse than an expensive jewellery gift that she will have to pretend she likes so as not to hurt your feelings, but - in reality - loathes.

15. Zenithal macrumors 601

No, but I find it weird to ask perfectly good strangers what I should get for my wife, or in the OP's case, his girlfriend. A nutty thing to do.