Gift worth a macbook?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zeiter, Oct 19, 2008.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

hey guys,

I was browsing the picture section and in the thread where people show what they just bought, one dude bought a macbook for his girlfriend. One gave a macbook to his sister. This made me think about something. Is it me that is cheap but are those gift really expensive? I mean, I wouldn't spend $1400 for my girlfriend..I'm not saying my girlfriend isn't worth the price, it's just that I don't think this kind of gift is needed to show my love and appreciation towards her. What do you guys think? I know some people who have a lot of money can do it no problem, but I'm talking about the average joe, maybe between 20-40 who has a regular job and an average income.

Thanks

2. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

I agree, unless i were to make a butt load of money or win the lotto, i will never buy someone something like that. I mean to me 1400 is a lot of money that's more than half of what my car cost lol

3. phas3 macrumors 65816

instead of spending 1400 dollars, I would rather take a gf to a place she's never been or taking her to do something she has always wanted to do. Less expensive and you know she'll enjoy it. Relationships..sometimes I want to put soo much into one and then sometimes i just like to ride it out because in the end relationships, you either get married or it falls apart..but you can always learn from one.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I'd purchase my partner a laptop if I had the means and I knew that they needed it.

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Same. If my partner needed it for work/studying/anything like that I wouldn't have any issues buying them one.

6. phas3 macrumors 65816

okay i agree with this too, im not so cold hearted after all

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If I was married or in a long term relationship or had a partner who I loved I would certainly buy her a laptop. There is little chance it would be a $1600 Macbook though, more like a Tosh or a used iBook.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20)

I suppose it depends on who it's for, how long you've been with them, how much you care about and love them.

I spent roughly that amount on my girlfriend for her birthday. Not on a notebook but on a diamond necklace. I've given her iPod's as a gift, no special occasion just to give her a gift. :)

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, my hobby (video games) isn't that expensive. I'd rather save up my money for gifts that to buy myself something that expensive.

10. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

if i had someone who needed a laptop for school or whatever i would spend maybe 400 on a laptop. i wouldn't even spend the 1400 on myself let alone someone else.