Gifted (older, registered) MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by byrdie, Dec 26, 2014.

1. byrdie, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

byrdie macrumors newbie

My daughter received an older macbook from a friend. Its running slowly and has the friend's (x) wife's stuff on it. If she resets the computer using the software.... will she be able to use it? its a model a1181. See attached label from box (She has the original box, charger, disks etc). She just needs it for office type software and internet. Nothing heavy duty. Suggestions? SHe is just out of college... has no job yet, and needs this for job acquisition stuff.
    THANKS!!!!

Attached Files:

2. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Boot from the OSX install disc, erase the hard drive and reinstall OS X. Will work fine.

Reckon it shipped with leopard, so it might be appropriate to upgrade to Lion. Some extra ram, might be in order as well to be honest. 1GB doesn't go far nowadays.

My sister still has an identical machine in daily service. With a cheap 120GB SSD, 4GB ram and Lion its still a very competent machine for basic tasks.

3. byrdie thread starter macrumors newbie

not working

When I do Command + R and restart computer with install disk in, the options I get are
    Install BUndled Software only
    Install Mac OSX and Bundled Software
    Folder: Instruction
    Folder: Optional Installs
    Optional Installs.mpg
    Xcode Tools
    Dashcode.pkg
    Packages - bunch of stuff
    WebObjects.mpkg
    XcodeTools.mpkg

When I select Install Mac OSX & Bundled.... I am then prompted for the previous owners password.... which we do not have.

Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again!

4. byrdie thread starter macrumors newbie

Picture is worth a thousand words:

Picture is worth a thousand words:

Again, Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Insert Disk 1 and hold C when booting up. It will boot off the DVD and let you into the OS X Installer. Follow the wizard until it asks you for a destination. Double click "Macintosh HD" and choose "Erase and Install". Continue on and let it load.

6. byrdie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh.... THe magic C

I have some memory sitting around from other (non-apple) older computers. I have several 1gb sticks that say PC2-5300s-555-12-F1.1GB .2Rx8 667. See image.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks for all your time!

Attached Files:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. That RAM will work. This late 2007 MacBook can accept up to 4 GB of RAM with 2*2 GB sticks.

8. byrdie thread starter macrumors newbie

So many THANKS!!!

We are both so excited to have this old thing up and running! Thanks for all the help!

----------

I'm a PC person... VERY little MAC experience. Do we need to put virus scan software on this.... or is that included in the OS? Might be a stupid question.....if so.... chalk it up to age.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Some people use virus software but most do not without any issues. Apple has a good track record with patching vulnerabilities. Did you wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system?

10. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Its not necessary per se, but if you stumble across a suspicious package you want to check out, its always good to have ClamXav around. Its free in the app store.

11. byrdie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

My daughter is back in business with her macbook, and couldn't be happier (unless she had a job and / or a NEW mackbook pro, that is).