Gifting an app by using my account on someone else's computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by annk, Jun 30, 2012.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I want to give my son an app the App Store. Since there's no option to gift apps, I was wondering if it's possible to log into the App Store as me on his computer, pay for and download the app. Afterwards of course I'd log out of my account.

Is this possible, and does it break the terms of service in any way?

I realise this means we'd have to cooperate whenever he needed to upgrade (not a problem), and I know I can get him an iTunes gift card so he can do it himself, but there are reasons I'd prefer to do it as I've described above. So all I'm looking for here is knowledge about whether it can be done, and if I'd be violating any terms by doing it this way. :)

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

It's possible. Some say there are license issues, but I've done it before and don't really see a problem or you could go the iTunes gift card route.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks! :)

Just discovered I have easy access to iTunes gift cards here (don't have to order and have them sent as I originally thought). So I have another app-noob question:

If the app I want to give him costs 200 dollars, will he be able to redeem four gift cards at 50 dollars each for the same purchase? Or can each card only be used for one purchase?

As far as I can see from the Apple site, gift cards only go up to 50 dollars each.

4. applepackard macrumors newbie

Breaking Terms of Agreement

I am a developer for Apple. I can tell you, YES, it does break your TOA. It would be better for you to list his computer as belonging to you, under your APPLE ID in your Apple Account. Then, whenever you purchase anything from the Apple Store a copy would automatically descend from the cloud to all your devices--including you son's computer. I bought my parent's computer with their money and they are under my account and reaping the benefits there. ;)

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Gift cards are applied to the App Store balance, so you simply redeem the gift cards, you'll have a balance of $200, and you an then spend it all at once.

jW

6. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

That's one of the things I wanted to know, thanks. It's a shame it breaks the TOA, since it's in effect paying for an app for someone else (giving a gift), but I wanted to know what the rule was.

Great, that's very good to know. :)