Gifting an app from one country to another

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by j-a-x, Sep 21, 2011.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Does anybody know if it is possible to gift an app to my family in Canada if I live in the states and have a US iTunes account? When I try to gift an app it says that it can only be redeemed in the USA. Is there any way around this?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Providing the app is available in both country's then it's fine!

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Are you sure? I don't want to pay and then find out that the recipient can never redeem it. Maybe I can test it with a $0.99 app first.

There's definitely a disclaimer that says "GIFTS CAN ONLY BE REDEEMED IN THE STORE COUNTRY WHERE THEY ORIGINATED. THIS GIFT WILL ONLY BE REDEEMABLE IN THE US STORE" when I attempt to gift an app in iTunes.

4. blesio macrumors regular

Why don't you test it the as you said? No one will give you a 100% answer like the test you told us about.

5. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I just thought that maybe somebody had actually tried it.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

NO it is NOT possible. Tested and verified (cause I did not read the fine print first).

Gifts can only be redeemed in the store they were purchased in.

You have to create an account in the other countries store and purchase it there as a gift.

-t