Gifting dilemma

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macpluslaptop, Jul 11, 2012.

1. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I am about to upgrade my ipad2 to a 3 - work equipment stipend will cover it. I have already given my ipad1 to my 28-year old niece, who uses it for everything - music, games, web browsing etc. So that's where my first ipad went.

I now want to pass on an ipad to my sister, a 60-something complete technophobe. She's a voracious reader, though, and she'll want to order magazines and books and web browse.

My question: my niece is a power user, and she's probably finding the ipad 1 slow at this point. I'm thinking maybe I should give my ipad 2 to my niece, and give the ipad 1 to my sister. Would the ipad 1 give my sister a satisfactory reading experience? (I know the retina screen would be perfect, but that's too much $$$$ right now)

None of us have any money for these things, right now, so I'm fortunate to be able to pass them on as my job supplies them.

Thanks to anyone who has a thought about this.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Makes perfect sense to me, your 28 year old niece is going to find that ipad1 slow going as she try's to do more with it. The real issue is that with the release of IOS6, the 1 is going to be something of a dinosaur, and who knows how long magazines and books will continue to be available for it, and of course the App required to download and read them...I guess your ideal scenario would be if you could sell the ipad1 and pick up another (refurb maybe) ipad2 from Apple....That way everybody's happy.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

iPad1 for pure reading should be fine. Kindle, Safari: all works.
    Moving the iPad 2 to a power user also makes sense as it has more memory.

so your plan is valid.

BUT: never show them your iPad 3 with retina; once they see that they never want to go back ;)

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D I'm hiding mine these days when folks come over...:)