Gifting Late 2009 13" MB, Need help with cleaning up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jesterscourt, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jesterscourt macrumors regular

So I managed to snag a 2011 13" MBP a month or two ago, to replace my old Late 2009 Macbook. I will be gifting it to my younger sibling, whose Dell died a nasty death last week.

With my setup previously, I had a Boot Camp partition with about ~50 gigs dedicated to Windows 7 (mostly for Steam games)... Now that doesn't make any sense as she's not a gamer, and I run Steam games off of my MBP and my PC. I'd still like to keep Windows 7 on the partition, but is there an easy way to do the following:

1. Resize/Repartition the Windows side to be smaller, say 25 gigs, because all it would need to have is basic stuff like office apps, and so forth for compatibility for her schoolwork. Do this without going through the process of wiping out the entire partition, then repartitioning, then re-installing Windows 7 updates for hours on end.

2. Partition a 2 gig portable HDD to NTFS/OSX with a 50/50 split, basically mirroring my other terabyte HDD that I use as a backup, and using the other terabyte for Time Machine?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

1. You could try winclone and use the shrink partition option (defrag in windows first), then delete the partition, and make a smaller one that the winclone image would fit in. That may not make it quite as small as you want, but it would be smaller. Otherwise, a reinstall is in order.

2. that would work fine