Gifting used MBP (running SL) - How do I reset the 'virgin' experience?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jelsoft, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Jelsoft macrumors member

I am giving a used snow leopard macbook to a relative. I have two ideal scenarios for how their experience would go:

First scenario:

I want them to have the welcome screen experience (e.g. where you choose language, register the machine, create the first account) that I had when I first turned it on.

Can this simply be achieved by reinstalling the OS disks that came with the machine, and in the process wiping its history blank? Will they then get the whole experience when the turn it on?

If that is so, then that's great. But now for the more complicated second scenario.

Second scenario:

What if I want them to have all of the above, but with applications and other files (such as videos and photos) already pre-installed?

For example.. they go through the welcome screen, create the machine's first account, and then find that there is a video from me on the desktop.

Is this second scenario even possible?

I'm thinking that there are two possible ways:

Easy way - I create their account (perhaps after reinstalling the OS), put the files I want on the desktop, and then find some way so that when it's next turned on the Welcome Video will play but it will take them to log into the account that I created.

Hard way - Install files and apps, then delete all accounts.. I really don't know how this would work.

--

Any help with this would be massively appreciated! :rolleyes:

2. regieferg macrumors newbie

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521153110AAYILts

i have used the 3rd opion to gain admin access at my school on old imacs and the 3rd opion gives you an extra admin account through the welcome screen. (the setup).

or you could reinstall and back up apps and settings on time capsule.

3. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Just in case you don't want to go there, I'll copy, paste, and add on. After you install the programs, do this:

Boot up holding Command-S and wait until it loads

Type "/sbin/mount -uw /" without the quotes and hit enter.

Type "rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" without the quotes and hit enter.

Type "reboot" without the quotes and hit enter.

When the computer reboots, it should run the setup assistant. Shut it down after you see it will work. Unfortunately, there is no way to get a video of you on before making the account. You could make a "Click Me!" account that would have the video or something before all of this.

4. andrew086 macrumors regular

I'm not sure exactly how you could do this, but what if you reinstalled SL, then copied a video called "Watch Me" from a thumb drive to the Desktop? It probably makes an account called "root" or something similar and then when the user sets up OS X it renames it to their username.

5. Jelsoft thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much! I assume that this is advice for scenario two?

However.. will there still be an account left on the mac though? I'd want it so that there was no account at all remaining.. as in, the account that they create is the first and only account on the system.

Also, if I can install programs.. could I dump a folder of files in the Applications folder of the hard drive?

--

Regarding scenario one.. was I right when I said that reinstalling Mac would reset the entire system to that virgin state? Including registration and first account creation?

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Regarding scenario one, doing a fresh install of OSX, will play the video and have the Setup Assistant come on, however, once it is registered, it will not prompt for that screen again. AND, once the setup is done, you will need to re-install iLife from the second DVD (Applications Disk)

7. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

You could use the root account. Re-install and create an account for yourself. Go into Macintosh HD>System>Core Services>Directory Utility. Unlock it, and go into Edit>Enable Root User. Choose a password. Now log out and log into root in the login window. Install your apps and drag the files you want into the applications. Now go into System Preferences>Accounts and delete the user you created. Then follow the steps I mentioned in my earlier post. The root account won't be available to the person you're giving it too.

8. MrCooperS macrumors member

Wow. It's scary what you can learn on the internet. How can I use this on my school's computer in mischievous ways. ;):p:D