Giga Ethernet Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevhui, Feb 15, 2009.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

Hi,

I know I may post here wrongly but please bear with me, because I don't know where else I can get help.

My question is how to make a Giga Ethernet network wiring. I know from Internet there are diagrams for cable but I want to know the wiring of the module (the plastic box that I insert the LAN cable.

I house has a "CAT 5" cable laid, but it is only "half connected" because I found there are 4 wires unconnected. This is what the wiring when view from the rear (with the notch at the bottom).

Green -
    White -
    - Orange
    - White

The 4 wires unconnected are (blue,white) and (orange white). The colors inside () means they are twisted pair.

So in order I can use Giga Ethernet, how should I wire the unconnected wires?

My 2nd question is is the wring symmetrical? The above module is what I see at A end of my house, so I wonder if the B end is the same?

My 3rd question is should I make a straight or crossed cable? The A end is to be connected to a Giga Ethernet Switch, where the B end is connected to an AIrport Extreme via a LAN cable

Thank you very much.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. acurafan macrumors 6502a

Follow this link,
    http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.aspx

and crimp the cables for 568-B format shown in the website. theoretically, you 'need' CAT5e or better for gig-ether.

regarding questions 2 and 3, crimp both ends the same 568-B (this is straight-thru) for your computers to communicate with your switch/router.

if you want a crossover cable, then crimp one end 568-A and the other 568-B. crossovers allow you to connect similiar devices (such as two switches that do not auto-mdx) or two computers directly with each other.

4. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but I am still not very clear.

The cable is used to provided a 100M connectivity and it is working.

As Airort Extrem supports Giga Ethernet connectivity, I would like upgrade the connection by wiring the remaining 4 wires.

Do you know how to deduce the pin assignment?

I mean, viewing the rear of the punch down module is like this:

Green X
    White X
    X Orange
    X White

Where X means no wire. The colors denote the twisted pair e.g. Green and While are twisted pair.

If I can know which pin is 1, which pin is 2 etc., then may be I can punch the remaining wires to make the module 1000M.

Thanks again.

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

1 white and orange
    2 orange
    3 white and green
    4 blue
    5 white and blue
    6 green
    7 white and brown
    8 brown

and please learn to use google, you could find this answer out yourself in about 30 seconds, instead of having to ask people over and over to spoon feed you the information.
    enjoy the challenge of finding an answer, and the feeling of satisfaction that you get from figuring it out yourself. or you could just continue to hope people help you along.

7. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

WAW 74,

Sorry I think you misunderstood me.

I know the PIN assignment is available but all from a cable / jack perspective. I want to know from a module perspective.

For example, the diagram I showed maybe

1 2
    3 4
    5 6
    7 8

or

1 5
    2 6
    3 7
    4 8

or other combination.

The module itself does not have the numbers shown. I try to search by typing AMP Enhanced CAT 5 wiring (as the module only indicate AMP Enhanced CAT 5) but did not get what I want

8. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

acurafan,

Thanks for your link. My module show something similar but I have 4 "horizontal rows" instead of 2.

I was hoping someone may have experience with the module that I am using (I did not buy myself, it was already laid when I bought my house). I did not meant to bother you guys.

Thanks.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I assume you mean the 8P8C Female connector located in the wall, and exposed for the patch cable to connect.

They usually have a wiring guide on them (sticker), and it's by color code. Odd your's doesn't. :confused: Unfortunately, I did do a search, and couldn't locate what you want. :(

Ultimately, you only need to make a 1:1 pinout match with the wiring. :eek: ;) Where ever you locate the wiring on one, it needs to be replicated on the other end. (This keeps the signals in the correct locations at least).

If I do find what you want, I'll post. I might be able to locate a camera and take a pic of the module for you. Provided I can get a good shot of it to post.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

I found the installation instructions in .pdf format.

This should be what you need. :)

Attached Files:

11. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thank so much all for your help. I am excited to get the GigaLAN running.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

The modules are easy to install, and should go quite easily. :cool:

I finished my 1G Ethernet & satellite installation (home) 2 weeks ago, and just finished the last voice line yesterday. ;)

Good Luck. :D