Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad Pro Gigabit Ethernet adapter with iPad Pro 2018 not giving full speeds

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Ive tried 2 different adapters one is the Belkin USB c to Gigabit Ethernet adapter sold at the apple store and the other is an Anker USB c hub which has a gigabit ethernet port. Both behaved the same way. When I first plugged it in it gave me 742 Mbps down and 22 up. Every speed test after that I got only about 106 Mbps down and 21 up. At first I thought it was the Anker hub so I bought the Belkin adapter. Ive tried resetting the network settings And restarting the iPad. The weird thing is I tried the Belkin adapter and Anker hub on a chromebook I have and I had no issues, it worked perfectly. I guess it must be some software issue with the iPad or maybe I have a hardware issue not sure. Any thoughts?

My internet connection is rated at 500 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.

These are the adapters I tried:

Digitalguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
I managed to get max speed on the pro 11, using my normal usb c hub.... that is 950 up and down (I have 10GB internet but I have no 10GB device). The only thing to note is that I use Power Delivery 3.0 hubs, since my HP laptop only works with PD 3.0 (not with 2.0) but I doubt this makes a difference. Anyway the ipad is not the issue. Instead with lightening ipad I can't get more than 300, that is less that what I get on wifi (400 to 500)

Reactions: Ipadlover29
Comment

AutomaticApple

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Ive tried 2 different adapters one is the Belkin USB c to Gigabit Ethernet adapter sold at the apple store and the other is an Anker USB c hub which has a gigabit ethernet port. Both behaved the same way. When I first plugged it in it gave me 742 Mbps down and 22 up. Every speed test after that I got only about 106 Mbps down and 21 up. At first I thought it was the Anker hub so I bought the Belkin adapter. Ive tried resetting the network settings And restarting the iPad. The weird thing is I tried the Belkin adapter and Anker hub on a chromebook I have and I had no issues, it worked perfectly. I guess it must be some software issue with the iPad or maybe I have a hardware issue not sure. Any thoughts?

A while ago, I tried using ethernet with my 2018 iPad Pro like you did. To say the least, it didn't work out.

Reactions: Ipadlover29
Comment

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011

I have that same Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adapter. I also have the StarTech US1GC308. With both, I get ~700Mbps up/down. I have 1Gbps internet service from AT&T. I can usually get ~930Mbps from my iMac. Not sure why the iPad Pro is a bit less, but it’s really not enough for me to worry about.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.