Gigabit ethernet on G4 Cube

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by potatis, Oct 17, 2011.

1. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

How do you identify gigabit ethernet models of the G4 cube?
    I was thinking of using one as fileserver, but on a 200mbit connection I assume the speed will be cut in half with a 10/100 ethernet port?

2. mike457 macrumors 6502

My understanding is that only a handful of Cubes were manufactured with a gigabit card, and then only as a prototype. Way back when, on Cubeowner, I heard of a couple. I don't fancy your chances of finding one.

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

A cube is pretty much the most impractical Mac possible to use as a file server. Bad bad choice.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sorry to say this but most if not any will have gigabit. Ideally the cube is not a server. Perhaps you could sell this and use the money to buy a more suitable one. If you have your heart set on it I am sure if you are really confident in your DIY there is some sort of MOD. Look it, I use a usb dongle for my macbook air that is 10/100 or whatever and it is really quite fast.

5. potatis thread starter macrumors 6502a

potatis

According to apple-history.com Gigabit ethernet was BTO from Apple Online Store, so it couldn't be that uncommon?

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The most uncommon thing here is that you have chosen the least practical Mac ever made to use as a file server. The aesthetics of the Cube will do nothing to help anything but your eyes and you will be handed a whole list of limitations that come with it. This is the side of the Mac community I have never liked. Regardless of how pretty a plastic box is you still need to use it as a tool.

You would honestly be better off just buying a big external HD. I recommend you get a high res pic of a Cube printed for your wall and buy a Powermac G4 for a file server. It will be half the cost or less and far far far more practical. The Cube is a gimmick product. Period.

7. potatis thread starter macrumors 6502a

potatis

Ok maybe file server is the wrong word. I need something not too big, fanless, to download lots of files, and I'm not sure a NAS with bitTorrent is easy enough to manage. The Cube would also be used to feed files to the AppleTV.