Gigabit Ethernet on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sheppard52, Oct 25, 2008.

1. sheppard52 macrumors newbie

Hey there people.
    I am wanting to just question something really.
    I got myself a new iMac last week etc etc found it had gigabit ethernet.
    now I know to get gigabit speed you need a cat6 cable. ( I know you can sometimes run gigabit on cat5e)
    Anway, I got myself the new cable plugged it all in. went to system preferences to see what it was reading at the 10/100/1000base TX menu.
    Went to system prefs, Network, Advanced, Ethernet.
    It is telling me its 100Base TX. It is set to automatic. so I set it to manual and change to 1000Base T but it doesnt do anything. well it does, it telling my my ethernet cable is unplugged.
    How can I changed it to 1000Base T? as I am not sure if I am even using gigabit speed.
    I do not have a router or anything at the moment. its just Imac < > Modem.
    Sorry if it was a but long winded! haha

Thanks to anyone that can help!
    James

2. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

does the modem support gigabit?

edit--also, unless you have a crazy fast connection, gigabit ethernet won't make a difference modem-->iMac

3. sheppard52 thread starter macrumors newbie

mmm..not sure. its a Scientific Atlanta 2100

By the way sorry i forgot to put, i have a fast connection 10Mb DSL

4. nb705 macrumors newbie

No, your modem does not support Gigabit Ethernet. And even if it did, you would gain absolutely nothing by using it. It would not speed up your 10mbps connection one iota.

5. mpshay macrumors 6502

As previously mentioned 100 megabit Ethernet is more than fast enough for your current internet connection. Gigabyte is only going to help if you have 2 or more computer on a local network and move large files between them

6. sheppard52 thread starter macrumors newbie

which is exacly what I am going to be doing.
    I have a rack server 3 windows desktops and this iMac and a 2 family wireless laptops.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the other computers have Gigabit Ethernet too, you should look into a Gigabit Ethernet Switch, otherwise you won't feel a thing of this fast speed.

As your modem is only 10/100 Mbit Ethernet (and maybe the other computers too), your Mac only recognizes the 10/100 Mbit speed, even if the cable is capable of more.

Btw, is English your mother's tongue?