Gigabit Ethernet on Late 2007 iMac???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GimmeSlack12, Nov 5, 2013.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

How do I turn it on? What do I have to do to get my computer to connect at gigabit speeds??? This all started by trying to increase transfer speeds to my NAS (see thread), only to realize that my iMac was only connecting at 10/100 speeds. I'm on Mavericks (10.9).

I've bought a NetGear gigabit (GS608) switch to take traffic loads off of my E2000 Linksys router (which should have no problem doing this).

I have tested several Cat5E cables that my NAS, switch and router all recognize as gigagbit. I just bought a few feet of Cat6 and still it isn't working.

What do I have to do?

2. Bear macrumors G3

It's possible to software restrict the ethernet port on a Mac. In system preferences, check to make sure it's set to automatic (see attachment).

If it's not a software issue, describe your network setup a bit better. What is plugged in to the switch and what is plugged in to the router.

Also, if you have a port on the switch with a cable that you know is working at gigabit speed, plug that cable and port in to the iMac.

(Yes, 100Mb/s is correct for my network connection.)

Attached Files:

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Thanks Bear, I very much have explored the options you suggested. I have tried a Cat5E cable, a Cat6 cable, and then re-tipped the Cat6 to be a crossover cable just to make sure that wasn't the case. It isn't the cables. When I override the connection and set it at gigabit I get the "Ethernet cable is unplugged" response from the Network prefs. I have tried jumbo frames and all combinations of settings. It isn't the software either.

As for my network:
    E2000 Linksys Router (DD-WRT firmware) -> Netgear Switch GS608 -> iMac
    Also connected to Switch:
    • Synology DS-212j NAS
    • AT&T MicroCell
    • Yamaha AV Receiver
    • Raspberry Pi
    • Samsung TV
    Wifi is running at 5GHz N-mode only to force N-wireless to work.

Regardless of all of my settings and tweaks and what not, I don't believe my iMac has ever run at gigabit speeds. It's just this past weekend I was doing a reformat of my NAS and then started to investigate if it is transferring data as fast as it should be over the network. I have read up about flow control from my switch and that collisions may be occurring that cause the speeds to drop, but I find it hard to believe that the NAS can operate fine on gigabit yet my iMac can't. Lame.

At this point I'm prepared to buy a Monoprice Gigabit Adapter and just give up on my internal ethernet card.

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Since so many of you are waiting on pins and needles I'll give you the latest.

I received the monoprice USB 2 adapter and it works great. It's getting me USB 2 speeds which is more like 1/2 gigabit speeds, but it's definitely better than 10/100. For the time being, case closed.