Gigabit Ethernet on rMacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by philstone, May 27, 2015.

1. philstone macrumors 6502

I'm looking for ideas...

I used to use an Apple Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapter on my rMBP, but now I'm using a new rMB thats not an option..

I do have a USB 3.0 Ethernet, but it causes havoc with our network - no idea why, tried it repeatedly with serious consequences - causing 2 servers to crash (I've spent hours researching this with no joy..) - tried every version of the AX88179 drivers, but still not good.

Does anyone know of any alternatives - I suppose an ideal solution would be some kind of Thunderbolt to USB adapter but I don't think a) this exists and b) is possible..?

Thanks!

Phil

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Correct on both counts. This sort of thing doesn't exist, because it's impossible.

3. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I am sort of curious what kind of havoc the AX88179 causes, because I use it in preference to the Thunderbolt-->ethernet adapater on my rMBP. What kind of network issues or what kind of "crash" (just a disconnect from the network?).

My preference is mainly based on the durability of the USB3 port over the TB port (too flimsy), but both adapters offer me full gigabit wire speed without any side effects on the remainder of the network.

AX88179 seems to be the only game in town for the USB3 adapters, as every brand I've checked uses that chipset. I am using the Plugable adapter because I am generally happy with all of their products.