Gigabit Ethernet // Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gazzrenn, Aug 31, 2011.

1. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

2. Clodey macrumors member

I too have been looking for one of these. I have spent a long time searching the net and all I could find was the website you listed :(

3. theSeb, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Sonnet have announced a TB --> Gigabit Ethernet adaptor as well.

There is also the ATD adaptor - it comes with a monitor.

4. gazzrenn thread starter macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

Gutted, lets just keep our eyes peeled!

That's the one I link to....

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Ooops. Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. Multitasking FTL.

6. Sarmiento macrumors member

Very expensive option but the new ThunderBolt Display connected to your MacBook Air would give you 3 USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 800 port, and a Gigabit Ethernet port.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I wonder if it's been pushed back or scuttled, since it isn't featured on Sonnet's page anymore. They list their upcoming ExpressCard34 port for Thunderbolt (available at the end of October), but not the Gigabit Ethernet port.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/index.html

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'm thinking very strongly about this solution. It is just so elegant. Honestly, if I knew the built in speakers would be above average quality for computer speakers, I'd do it.

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I'll be purchasing the TB display for my MBA. I currently have a Dell 20" monitor and it's ok. The TB just seems much cleaner setup. Can't wait. :)

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I assume the decision to make the TB-ExpressCard34 adaptor is a business one and hence why the FW and Gigabit TB adaptors are no longer planned. They are obviously counting on being able to sell more of these adaptors and also their own ExpressCard-Gigabit Ethernet, ExpressCard-USB 3 and so forth. Makes sense, from a business point of view.

11. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I was so hoping for Apple to bring out a new Ethernet adapter (updated to Thunderbolt and Gigabit Ethernet) alongside the new MBA's but it didn't happen. They're still pushing the USB 2.0 one :(

Having said that, I will use an external screen a lot so even if I did get one it would need to have a cascade output to connect the screen to, and the Sonnet one didn't like like it would have had this. Here's hoping for a Thunderbolt dock.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but then it also means people are more likely to buy someone else's ExpressCard port. $149 for the adapter, $50 for the cable, and $70 for Sonnet's ExpressCard adapters is pretty steep for FireWire and/or Gigabit ethernet. It's 27% of the way toward a Thunderbolt display (though somewhat more portable).

13. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Ugh, the Sonnet ExpressCard adapter looks like a good idea, but it has many issues:

1. Price (Adapter - $149, ExpressCard ~$79, TB Cable - $49) = $277 A lot just to get an ethernet port, although you could then get other ExpressCard/34's and expand, but you can only use one at a time.

2. Having to have a separate cable - good for desktops, bad for laptops. In addition to the ethernet cable, you now have a 3 foot thunderbolt cable attached to an adapter. Also means you have to have more stuff plugged in. If the cable was directly attached it would be $50 less expensive and a bit more portable.

3. No daisy chain port. I might have actually considered buying this at $149 if it could daisy chain, but using it means that I can't hook up an external display after it. Of couse, i'm not sure if this would even work - do all TB ports act as Mini-DisplayPort connectors or does it only work directly out of the mac? (For example: MBA -> TB RAID Array -> (MDP -> DVI Adapter) -> external monitor) Would the external monitor have to be the Apple Thunderbolt display for that to work?

14. gazzrenn thread starter macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

Crikey... spending $1000/£900 on a monitor to get Gigabit Ethernet is not an option whatsoever!

...and for me, spending $277 on a Gigabit Ethernet port is also a bit ridiculous.

I just want a simple Gigabit version of the 10/100 dongle that Apple already make to leave at the office. The amount of use I'd get would not justify $100 let alone $277 or even $1000!

15. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

Can somebody please tell me the purpose of the Gigabit ethernet port on the back of the new Thunderbolt Display? I am guessing it is one of the following:

1) I connect my router to the display via wire and when I connect my MacBook to the display via Thunderbolt I get gigabit ethernet over Thunderbolt

2) I connect my macbook, desktop mac to the display via Thunderbolt and the computer's network connection is made available to another network device via the Gigabit port on the display.

Basically, I am wondering if the Gigabit port is an uplink for the Mac or a downlink for an additional device.

Thanks.

16. dennya macrumors regular

dennya

It's this.

17. mst0192 macrumors member

i expect number 2.

edit: sorry, i think only number 1 makes sense. its just adds an ethernet-port to your mba.

18. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

thanks!