gigabit ethernet USB adapter, anyone use one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Capt Crunch, May 26, 2009.

1. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Anyone have good luck with a gig-e->USB adapter? I'm planning to get a MBA and cinema display, but I need the use of gigabit ethernet. Will it work well if I plug it into the USB hub on the display and will I be able to max out the USB connection?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Never Used it but...

It will work in a hub just fine, if it doesn't it is not USB compliant.

As for speed, it depends on what you are transferring and if your network is truly gigabit ethernet. Most home networks are very undersaturated and won't come close to filling or even needing all of USBs speed.

That said, from a theoretical standpoint, gigabit ethernet is more than double the speed of USB so you will be limited by the USB if you are transferring large files from withing a full gigabit network.

3. cube macrumors G5

Gigabit ethernet: 1000 mbps
    USB: 480 mbps

MBA = FAIL

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't do gigabit Ethernet over USB. It is physically impossible.

5. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that I will be limited by USB. I have 1080p movies on my central computer that I want to be able to watch on my laptop. 802.11n is not fast enough to stream them (indeed, it's too unreliable to stream any movie). So, I would like to use gig-e to USB because USB is fast enough to stream what I want.

Anyone have any experience?

6. cube macrumors G5

7. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, and it doesn't work. I've turned off my iPhone, there is only one computer (MBP) accessing the network as far as I can tell. It's 10 feet away. I've got videos that are 1.5 Mbps and they stutter every 5 seconds. If I copy the files beforehand they copy in minutes. But I can't stream them.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Something's up with your wifi network, then. I can stream SD to 3 different Apple TVs simultaneously over 802.11n @ 5GHz. If you can't stream a 1.5Mbs file, something else is wrong.

9. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I routinely stream 1080p mkv movies via 802.11n from a floor away from the AP.

John