Gigabit LTE on iPhone 8, 8+, X ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alchematron, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

To my knowledge, there is no GB LTE support for any of the new phones.

I think the article you linked to gave you some likely answers. As to waiting, I am not sure said support will even be of any real use when available. How fast do you need the phone to go? After a while, specs and usability take different paths in the woods, bragging rights about some super duper fast feature become meaningless, for all intent and purposes.

3. Alchematron thread starter macrumors 65816

Alchematron

My average download speed now is about 30 mbps with ATT. If GB LTE can give me 100 mbps, then sure why not. I plan to buy the 8+, but will be disappointed if GB LTE is introduced later this year and my new phone which I paid nearly 1K for can not access it! :rolleyes:

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The thing is you won't be able to tell a difference streaming HD video at 30mbps vs. 100mbps, as well as Internet usage etc. Like I said earlier, when you reach that point, it becomes only about the numbers.

5. Phasism Suspended

Yes there is support from what I read. The s8 and note 8 are said to support it and maybe others. Idk

6. mwhals macrumors 6502

mwhals

Note 8 and S8 support it.

7. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

If you live in 99% of the world it won’t be relevant for the next few years.

8. fs454 macrumors 68000

Good luck finding that speed in the real world. It's not going to matter until these phones are irrelevant and years old. We all want fast LTE, but at the same time here in America we can barely dream of having gigabit home internet, let alone LTE. A smartphone connected to a 50mbit down 50mbit up LTE network absolutely screams, too.

We'll get there, but it's totally irrelevant for 2017 phones and maybe even 2018 phones.

9. Wayward macrumors member

You don’t need GB LTE to get 100+ mbps. Screenshot below with an 8+.
    [​IMG]

10. fs454, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

fs454 macrumors 68000

This. It's downright insanely impressive to have access to wide-area high speed wireless internet of this speed in the USA right now. Gigabit is 1,000mbps which only a few in select cities are able to experience on hard line internet service.

11. mzsigler macrumors regular

I just noticed on Verizon’s site that the 8 and 8+ have an “LTE Advanced” tag while the 7’s don’t. I haven’t kept up with all the carrier marketing terms though, so I’m not sure what “LTE Advanced” means to verizon.

12. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Gigabit LTE is meant to give you better performance in weak to moderate signal conditions.

The point isn't to get 30 Mbps vs. 100 Mbps. It's for when you're in the underground parking garage or deep inside a building, the signal will give you 3 vs. 10 Mbps.

If you intend to keep your phone a couple years, Gigabit LTE will make a difference when carriers roll it out in 2017 and 2018.

13. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Yes they do. That's been there since the 5S I think, maybe it was the 6.