Gigabit transfer speed help (one direction)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Cryptic1911, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

Ok guys, here's what's going on:

I have a mac pro (10.5.6 all updates), and a Win2k3 server. I have full gigabit in the house. All hand made CAT6 cables made by me, and a gigabit switch.

The problem is that I can FTP transfer FROM my Mac Pro to the server at 120MB/s (yes, its capping the gig link), but going TO my Mac Pro from the server, I can only hit 42MB/s. It's almost like it's capped there somehow.

I've looked up network tuning for both OSX and Win2k3, and made the appropriate modifications on both sides with no changes in speed. Oh, the other odd thing is that I get ~42MB/s wether I am downloading to my single boot drive or my raid array on the Mac. I know 40MB/s is still "fast", but it drives me insane that I can't get 120MB/s both ways when I know my hardware is plenty capable

Specs:
    Mac Pro
    8x2.8Ghz
    6GB ram
    750gb Samsung Spinpoint F1 32mb cache (boot)
    3x 500gb Seagate 7200.10 (raid0) for storage (yes, its backed up)

Win2k3 server
    4x2.4Ghz
    4GB ram
    8x Seagate 7200.10 (raid5) on an LSI megaraid SAS controller

I've tested both drives on either side, and they are more than capable of speeds better than gigabit can support. Any ideas?

:confused:

2. dampfdruck macrumors member

You may have errors on your links. The easiert way to check this is by using SNMP. Enable SNMP on Windows, OSX and if you can also on your switch. Then install a NMS which collects error counts (here is a free one: http://support.infosim.net/freeexpress/).

3. Cryptic1911 thread starter macrumors member

hm, I will have to give that a shot. how exactly do you enable snmp on osx?