gigabite ethernet on mac mini 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Neiloid, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Neiloid macrumors member

Hi

Here's another daft question - how come my 500Mbps network plug is only showing as 100Mbps do I need a full gigabite to plug and will it only show the speed of the slowest plug on the circuit i.e. the 500 mbps on the sons PS3?

Chers, Neil

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

First of all you need CAT 6 cable to get Gb ethernet, second, 500Mbs?? never heard of that but that might be the problem here, I think it should be either 10-100-1000 Gb and since it is less than 1000 Gb it falls back to the 100Gb speeds.
    I could be wrong though but this seems to be obvious to me.

3. Neiloid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry if it seems obvious, but I'm afraid that nothing to do with internet/broadband speeds is obvious to me ! ;)

Maybe I didn't explain properly. The ethernet homeplugs are 500Mbps rated. So to get more than 100Mbps through the gigabit plug I need a 1000 Mbps homeplug at each end rather than the 500 Mbps plugs I have at the moment?

Thanks again.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ok, wasn't clear, do they exist, maximum I saw until now was 300Mb/s, I guess if they are available they should work.

I did a search and came up with a review on Belkin Homeplug, you should really read this and search some more, it seems you will never actually get 1000Gb speeds.
    There are already wireless ac products released, those could also be an option, although still draft ac.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Not true. Cat 5e handles gigabit just fine. Cat 6 is certified for gigabit speed, but Cat 5e supports gigabit speed no problem.