Gigabyte Aorus eGPU...housing a U.2 NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by gsloan, Sep 10, 2019.

1. gsloan macrumors member

I found an empty Aorus eGPU enclosure on CraigsList for $100. Replaced the PSU fan with a Noctua to quiet the thing down and removed the auxiliary fans as they're not necessary with just the SSD. Found a PM963 Samsung 1.9TB NVMe SSD on eBay for $160 shipped plus a $20 adapter. While it's not svelte, it is quiet and works just fine. So if you don't want to pay $200+ for a TB enclosure, see if you can find one of these discarded, as some people do, evidently. Works wonderfully. The PM963 won't win any speed records, but it should last a good long while as an enterprise SSD.

I've already got a Razer Core X housing a Vega64, before folks wonder why I didn't put a GPU in it. :)

Attached Files:

2. purplealert macrumors newbie

That's really interesting, I have one of these enclosures. Loads of these got bought and the cards ripped out for cryptomining a couple of years ago. Can I ask which Noctua fan you used for the PSU? It's not the loudest device out there, but it might be nice to quieten my enclosure down a bit too.

Thanks!

3. gsloan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, a lot of folks bought these and discarded the enclosures...some are letting them go dirt cheap. And they work well as a standard OS X Thunderbolt-> PCIe enclosure.

Here's the fan I used in the PSU - https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A4...tua+40mm+flex&qid=1568209901&s=gateway&sr=8-4 - You'll need to splice the old fan's red and black onto the Noctua's red and black. After doing that, the PSU fan is inaudible from about 6" away.

4. purplealert macrumors newbie