GigSky Announces eSIM Support for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

GigSky, a company that offers pay-as-you-go cellular data plans in more than 190 countries around the world, today announced that it now supports the eSIM in the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

eSIM-based GigSky data plans are available on Apple's new devices through the latest version of the GigSky World Mobile Data app, which was updated today.

[​IMG]

Adding a GigSky data plan when traveling can be done by downloading the app on an iPhone XR, XS Max, or XS running iOS 12.1 or later. GigSky says that built-in data connectivity will activate the eSIM with a cellular data only plan with no need to acquire a GigSky physical SIM card.

GigSky offers data bundles from 300MB to 5GB, which span from one day to 30 days. Pricing in select regions in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean starts at $10 for 300MB of data. For other countries not included in these regional plans, pricing and data caps vary.

GigSky is one of the only ways for iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max customers to use the eSIM on the new iPhones at the current time.

Apple implemented eSIM support in the recent iOS 12.1 update, but no U.S. carriers support it at this time. Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are working to implement support later this year.

In other countries, eSIM functionality is available from various carriers, with Apple providing a list of all the carriers around the world that support the eSIM at the current time.

Article Link: GigSky Announces eSIM Support for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR

2. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

3. egodspeed macrumors newbie

egodspeed

TruPhone also supports the ESIM. TruPhone and GigSky seem like small timers in comparison and even use the US carrier networks as a MVNO. So, the MVNOs know how to "ESIM" and the big timers don't? I don't get it. It's almost embarrassing how slow the US carriers are moving to get their support out there.

Verizon/Sprint/AT&T/T-Mobile? Hello? Are you there?

4. Ballis macrumors 6502a

5. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

I am not a native english speaker but this wording sounds kinda funny?? Shouldn't it say "the only way"?

6. yyjerseyian macrumors newbie

In Apple's eSIM support document, GigSky is listed at available at a later day this year presumbaly they haven't updated their document to reflect GigSky's eSIM availability yet. Also, Truphone was listed available (already)

7. egodspeed macrumors newbie

egodspeed

No. It's written correctly.

8. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Since 98% of the calls I get in my cell now are robocalls, scams, etc, someone should just offer all data plans. But with more reasonable pricing that Gigsky.

9. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

hm ok thx. :)

10. DJMarty macrumors newbie

DJMarty

They are getting owned on this....

11. NomadicTy macrumors regular

By the way, anybody what kind of speeds one get with Gigsky? I'm planning to go to Chile in two weeks.

I was kind of upset T-Mobile haven't come up with their support for eSIM, but maybe I'll keep T-Mo in physical sim and just Gigsky for (faster) data in Chile... Still Gigsky prices are like US data pricing -- basically ripoffs when compared to overseas.

12. chillenandy321 macrumors regular

chillenandy321

I second this on data speeds :)

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Eh, not really. They’re probably just figuring out a way to add extra fees to accounts that request eSIMs. Once they bring the eSIM functionality to the table, there is a 99% chance they will be owning their customers yet again.

14. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

It would only say "the only way" if it was the only way. Since you can access esim through TruPhone, GigSky isn't the only way... just one them.

15. rotax macrumors regular

AT&T's International Passport prices are over double that of GigSky.

16. adamjackson macrumors 65816

When I go to Europe, this is what I'll use from now on. Spent 2 weeks in Bermuda and Verizon charged me $5 per day to use the data I already paid for. They charge $2 a day in Canada and I think $3 in Europe.

17. diego.caraballo macrumors member

I recently contacted https://www.tepwireless.com/ and they are in talks with Apple to offer eSim support.
    Tep is the cheaper one, it costs 8.95/day for unlimited internet. Right now they offer the service with a hotspot,
    but having the eSIM version will be a killer one.
    (If you use more than 1GB in a day, your connection speed will get slowed to 256kbs)

18. Khedron macrumors 6502

Pricing in select regions in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean starts at $10 for 300MB

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Those prices are ridiculous. Even Apple is put to shame by those margins.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    If you had a proper dual SIM phone just buy a local SIM and get data for 10 times cheaper

19. nutmac macrumors 68040

The least GigSky can do is match T-Mobile's International Pass ($5/day for 512 MB). Considering GigSky only offers data, these plans are at least 2x overpriced.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But the difference is I can go to another country, connect to WiFi and sign up for one of these plans, whereas, if I head out without already having signed up with T-Mobile, I either have to go get a local SIM which isn't always convenient, I roam with my existing carrier, or SOL.

It's always a battle of value vs convenience.

I have been very satisfied with the AT&T "Day Pass" at $10/day unlimited calls, text, and data (LTE where available) from my domestic bucket (which is unlimited). I used to pay for a separate line at $120 [with tax] that has unlimited international roaming data, but unless I was traveling more than 12 days a month, it wasn't worth it anymore.

21. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

This is much better than Verizons $10/day to use your data abroad. My recent trip to Paris was $70 instead of the $15-20 for this.

22. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

In all fairness (and since I came to Sprint's defense on this previously) Sprint needs to step this up also.

Sprint shouldn't get a pass just because they haven't announced their intentions (or don't have any intentions) in regards to implementing eSIM technology.

eSIM technology will make it easier for consumers to switch between cellular providers which will which will help to increase competition.

I say all this as somone who supports the T-Mo/Sprint merger.

Of course, the cellular carriers have a huge incentive to NOT implement eSIM technology because it will increase compeition. So it would be great if Apple would show the "courage" (see that I did there) to eliminate the SIM tray in the next iPhone.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I believe the delay is due to all of them working up new pricing schemes and packages involving the eSIM. They want some way to extract more money from customers. I don't buy their current song and dance excuse.

24. cjake macrumors regular

25. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

This is very likely what I'll do next time I travel internationally. In a foreign country, tired from a long flight, and just needing data--buying a SIM at the airport is what I've done.

Yes. I know it's outrageously expensive that way. Sure, I can pre-load maps/navigation before landing. Then Uber/cab/hired car to the hotel & find a store on the way. Again, traveler fatigue.

Personally, I feel better knowing I can de-plane and instantly (after customs) put a local SIM in my phone and get data. I've not found an international cell carrier that I can contact from the 'States and arrange for them to send me a SIM I'll pay for ahead of time (if you know of one in the UK/Europe, @ me).

This option seems like the best. No physical SIM swapping; pay online for just the data I want, all electronically done. If it works as advertised, I'm in.