Gilding question on the SS AW

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by clyde2801, Jul 2, 2015.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Didn't want to hijack the watchplate thread for this, so excuse if this is in the wrong place. Talked to a highly recommended local businessman in my area about gilding the stainless steel apple watch. He was intrigued by the idea, but stated he would have to soak it in a nickel solution for at least 20 minutes at roughly 130 degrees Fahrenheit to acheive a satisfactory result with gold plating.

Maybe I'm making the mistake of looking what's going into sausage before I order it, but this is causing me some trepidation. I'm also wondering if some of the less than satisfactory results some have reported on the watchplate thread are someone connected to this; i.e., maybe they're skimping on this step.

I'd welcome everyone's thoughts and opinions on the subject. Thanks.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

This process does require the electronics being removed from the AW before the process begins, would that not void one's warranty right off the bat?

3. JOSEPH99 macrumors member

JOSEPH99

With all due respect. Why would anyone want a FAKE gold watch of any kind?

4. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. No, the face and ceramic backing are inert, and the watch is ip7, which means it's waterproof for up to 30 minutes in up to 3 feet of water. It's that the submersion in the nickel solution is 130 degrees and 20 minutes or more that causes me concern.

2. TEHO, I suppose. The gold models look pretty sweet with the black screen. You could ask why would anyone want to pay $10-17 thousand for a real one?

EDIT: So it will match my iPhone!

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

They like the gold color, but can't or don't want to pay for solid gold.