Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Ginger

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm disappointed you left out Mrs. Howell, the true hottie of the series. ;)

But, between the two you listed, Mary Ann. No contest.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
And the reason you're asking is......?

I like taller women, so even though MaryAnn is quite nice, I might gravitate towards Ginger.....

D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mr. Anderson said:

I like taller women, so even though MaryAnn is quite nice, I might gravitate towards Ginger.....

D
FWIW: Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) is 5' 6.5", and Ginger (Tina Louise) is 5' 8"... is that 1.5" that important?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
jsw said:
FWIW: Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) is 5' 6.5", and Ginger (Tina Louise) is 5' 8"... is that 1.5" that important?
But in reality it's at least 6'0, because Ginger wouldn't be caught on a desert island without her high heels.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
At the time, I'd have picked Mary Ann. Of course, she was younger during filming of the show (26) than Ginger (30). Now they're 66 and 71, respectively.

Now the New Gilligan's Island had some sweeties too. At least on the 1 episode I saw.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Mr. Anderson said:

D
Just curious. This was a question my friends and I used to ask in HS. We noticed that the people we considered to be geeks like ourselves predominantly chose sweet Mary Ann, while the trendy yuppie-types were more likely to gravitate to the flashier Ginger.

Um, not that I'm calling you a trendy yuppie-type, Mr. A.:eek: :eek: :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
So who are the "new" Mary Ann and Ginger? That is, if in HS today, who would be the subject of the question - Paris or Nicole? Kate or Shannon? Meredith or Isobel?

Probably not any of the shows I watch... :rolleyes:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
emw said:
So who are the "new" Mary Ann and Ginger? That is, if in HS today, who would be the subject of the question - Paris or Nicole? Kate or Shannon? Meredith or Isobel?

Probably not any of the shows I watch... :rolleyes:
Mary Kate and Ashley? ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
clayj said:
No, I'm pretty sure it's "both". :p
I think he mistyped and meant to say "or either." Clearly, he doesn't deem himself worthy of both, and so decided that either one would be fine.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
jsw said:
I think he mistyped and meant to say "or either." Clearly, he doesn't deem himself worthy of both, and so decided that either one would be fine.
I'm confused. He's the one who said Mary Kay and Ashley, not Mary Kate or Ashley. I think it's clear he's secretly longing for both of them, but doesn't want us to know it. It would ruin the whole mystique he's built (you know, with that avatar and all).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jsw said:

Hmm, didn't realize that - so I'm thinking Mary Ann might be ok - I thought she was a lot shorter....

D

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
No secret (or public) longing. Actually, the thought is damn disquieting. I remember watching that show when my daughter was a wee tike, and so were they.

The "and" was because it's automatic to say their names that way after so many years. Kind of rolls off the tongue. No, wait...that's not what I meant!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
powermac666 said:
Actually, the thought is damn disquieting.
Yeah, I'd always be worried I'd use the wrong name at the wrong time.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
powermac666 said:
The "and" was because it's automatic to say their names that way after so many years.
So you tend to call them both at once? And have done so for years? Hmmmm.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
You guys are just sick! But I mean that in a good way.

I've gotta go. I Dream of Jeanie is about to start, and I need to get ready.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
powermac666 said:
Actually, that doesn't help much at all, although I'll have to check back between 10p and 5a to be sure. :eek:
Yup, me too. All in the interest of research, of course. :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
emw said:
Perhaps this will help the decision-making process?
Looks like it's the same as Mary Kate and Ashley - it's an "and", not an "or". With the original GI, I had no interest in Ginger. Now, though....