GIMP 2.4.2 on Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cromulent, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Is anyone else using the latest version of the GIMP on Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1) and experiencing constant crashes? I downloaded the binary release from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ and have had nothing but trouble. I have all the latest updates installed.

Basically the mouse tracking is slow, so when you move the mouse it takes a couple of seconds for the cursor to catch up which makes it tricky to draw anything. Then when you do actually start drawing the program just bombs out. Is this a widespread problem or do I just have a dodgy install?

2. candychunk macrumors member

exactly the same thing happened to me.... ive actually downloaded that program 4-5 times, making sure i didnt do anything wrong... but no luck

i think they yet to make an update coz its not compatible with leopard

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

According to the download it was the Leopard version. Ah well, I just hope they manage to fix it soon. Otherwise I might just try and compile it myself and see if that fixes the problems.

4. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I have the latest Gimp too, but on Tiger... and even then it crashed alot.. then i found some things about why it crashed, with using tools like resizing, rotating, .. outside the window...

5. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I can't even get to the stage or resizing etc. I just try and draw a simple line and boom auto crash.

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

that's very frustrating.. another reason to wait for leopard too buy it :p or to hope that Gimp works faster on a new version

7. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Don't get me wrong I have no complaints with Leopard really. I just hope a new version of the GIMP is released soon. It is quite a useful tool. At least Blender 2.45 works well :).

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

It IS usefull i agree, and fantastic that it's free! i tried leopard in an apple shop and i really liked it! i don't use blender, but i've also wanted too, is it hard to work with if i have no 3D skills??

9. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'll be honest I find it pretty tricky to get to grips with the UI but the video tutorials that are available explain things in a nice way. I'm still learning myself but I don't think it is that hard. Just time consuming really.

10. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

have you made anything showable :p ?

11. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Nope. I'm not an artist, just someone who enjoys playing around with new software.

12. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

me too! but i also do like making awful mockup's with Gimp XD

13. antprov222 macrumors newbie

It's been happening to me like crazy! I just switched from Ubuntu to my new Macbook and Gimp hates it! Which makes me sad since I sure cannot afford photoshop! I need to find an in between if Gimp isn't corrected.. :(

14. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

It will be I'm sure. You just might need to wait until 2.4.3.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I am running the latest version of GIMp on my 10.5.1 system with no issues. I did download the compiled version now that they have it and not the binary.

16. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Do you have a link?

17. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

maybe a newb question, but what is the difference between a compiled and a binary version...???

18. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

None.

They are both precompiled. Unless he meant to say that he downloaded the source and compiled it himself.

19. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

what is compiled??? sorry not native, is it like having all things of an app and then putting them together in one .dmg ??

20. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Basically an application is just source code. In order to turn it into an application or binary (they are the same thing) you need to compile it with a compiler. This changes the human readable source code into machine code which the computer then executes.

21. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

oh, i understand, i learn new things here at macrumors every day..

22. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Okay got it working now after a bit of searching.

Run this command from the terminal :

Code:
    [B]curl -LO http://people.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/x11-apple/x11_update.sh[/B]
    then

Code:
    [B]sudo sh x11_update.sh[/B]
    and that should patch the X11 libs that come with Leopard and stop the crashing.

More information about the fix is found here : http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin

Get the binary installer here : http://wilber-loves-apple.org/pages/download.html

There is no need to reinstall it just run the two commands shown above and the crashes will magically disappear :).

23. miguy2k macrumors newbie

I just tried the shell script and it works perfectly now.

So it's an X11 issue?! yay... hope that will get fixed by a software update anytime soon...

Thanks alot!
    - miguy2k

24. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I tried typing that in X11 and GIMP still crashes on me. Anyone have other ideas? Here is the error that it gives me when I go to report it:

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.2.dylib
    Reason: Incompatible library version: libXft.2.dylib requires version 3.0.0 or later, but libfontconfig.1.dylib provides version 2.0.0

25. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Run it from Terminal. I'm not sure what you did by running it from the Xterm prompt provided by X11 but Gimp works perfectly for me now.