Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Ok, these seems like it should be a no-brainer, so I must be missing something...

I am running Tiger on a 1.33 PB G4

Downloaded GIMP.app 2.2.6, tried to run it and is said I need X11.

Remembered in earlier versions of OSX you installed X11 seperately.

Downloaded X11 from Apple, tried to install it, it can't because it says it's already on my machine.

I can't find X11 on my machine. Rebuilt permissions just in case.

What simple step am I missing? How do I make this one happy app?

Thanks in advance

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If X is already installed, you should have an X11.app executable in your Utilities folder, and for Tiger it should v1.1, AFAIK. Launching it should start the X environment. You should not need to do that to start GIMP, but it is worth a try to make sure X is working correctly.

The rest of the X install should be in /usr/X11R6.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Fixed...

I checked things on my DP 1.25, I had long ago installed X11 on that machine, and GIMP worked fine.

I never had installed X11 on my PB so when I upgraded to Tiger, it didn't install. Re-ran the install, did a custom install and added X11.

All works fine.

I wonder why it thought I had X11 installed. Regardless, it works now and I have some new software to experiment with.

Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Peter, I'm glad it's working for you now. Have you had the font bug issue in GIMP before? (The one where, if you scroll quickly through the font list, it crashes GIMP?) I guess there's a fix that involves deleting a troublesome font, but I was wondering, if you had this before, if it's resolved in Tiger's new X11 version. It seemed like it was a 50-50 mix of fault -- the font had something wrong with it, and GIMP didn't catch exceptions correctly....

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Since this is the first time I have installed GIMP, I haven't had any bugs, but if I run into it, I'll let you know.

Right now I am looking for a plugin to edit Nikon RAW files.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There seems to be a really nice raw plugin called UFRaw, that sadly does not appear to have been compiled or ported to Macs.... :(

BTW, if you want to find out now if the bug affects you, it might be better than finding out mid-unsaved-project. :rolleyes: Open an image, insert a text box, and click on the font menu in the docked text tool, and scroll quickly back and forth through the list of fonts a couple of times. If GIMP is still running, you probably don't have the bug issue.

IanC

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2005
Essex
mkrishnan said:
(The one where, if you scroll quickly through the font list, it crashes GIMP?) .

Oh i have that problem. Im not sure what causes it tho, but i dont recognise any of the fonts from the Mac OS itself.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
IanC said:
Oh i have that problem. Im not sure what causes it tho, but i dont recognise any of the fonts from the Mac OS itself.

This thread has a potential fix, if you scroll to the bottom, that basically involves deleting a couple of fonts. It may or may not be serious, depending on the languages you use. Obviously, deleting the Devanagari font will seriously suck if you work in Hindi. :(

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
Hi,

I've just downloaded gimp.app too and find I get the same message, "Gimp.app requires Apple's X11"

This is a brand new imac with Tiger so I would have thought it would have come preinstalled?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think X11 is always considered an optional install. Just stick the install disk in and do the optional installs and you should be able to get it easily enough. :)

fayskelley

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
I think X11 is always considered an optional install. Just stick the install disk in and do the optional installs and you should be able to get it easily enough. :)

My install disk is locked in storage ... I found a site for the download for X11 without the install disk. THAT OPENS.

Gimps tried to open but will not ....

I followed the directions of which packet to open first ...

Any way to get GIMP to run under Tiger ???? .... needs specifics please.

thanX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.