Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Ok, I'm trying to figure out some photo manipulation and have Gimp installed. Haven't actually used it at all but trying to now and when I click on 'open' the word Gimp is up on the top left corner but nothing else....no 'file' 'edit' 'view' etc...

I looked around and found a couple of suggestions but they seem a little too advanced for my limited computer capabilities... or knowledge

Someone mentioned to delete or 'uninstall' Terminal X and I don't even know what Terminal X is or what it does....Also one of the suggestions said to make sure you do it 'this' way or it could really mess up the computer.... also why does that automatically open any time I've opened Gimp??

I just want a somewhat easier way to do this....also I need step by step instructions...PLEASE please help me out~

thanks so much

----------

I forgot....I'm trying to uninstall Gimp but then go back and install it - unless anyone knows of a free app that does what Photoshop or Gimp....

please help me figure this out....hold my hand though - please!!

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
GIMP needs an X server (That X you see in your dock is the icon for it) it is just that way because it is not a native Carbon nor Cocoa application (and thus it does not have apple's look & feel :)).
GIMP's window has the menu bar because it does not use Apple's menu bar (coz it uses the X sever).

To uninstall it just move the GIMP application to the trash...

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
thanks

I thought that just taking something to the trash doesn't completely uninstall it and that everything left behind some type of files???

I am not very computer savvy, so I do need some coaching if you wouldn't mind.

I do want to reinstall it but I would like to know that i got all of the original contents off my computer before reinstalling it.

any suggestions and are you familiar with Gimp?? do you recommend it?

i really appreciate yr help!!

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.