Gimp: What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bonsai1214, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

so i downloaded Gimp. i open up x11. i open up gimp. it should run, correct? however, if i do more than 3 dots of the brush, gimp quits itself. what am i doing wrong?:confused:

thanks for the help
    ~alex

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Do you get any errors? If no pop-up errors appear when it quits, try opening Console.app (/Applications/Utilities/Console) after it happens and see what type of errors appear there. You can try posting them back here to see if anyone can offer advice.

3. Bonsai1214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

under what label in the side bar would i be looking at? i'm not a very proficient console or terminal user..

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In Console, look at System.log and Console.log. You can use the Filter box in the upper-right to focus on Gimp. I don't use Console much either, but it can be handy to spot error messages when you're coming up dry finding solutions else where.

5. Bonsai1214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i can't seem to find anything about gimp there. oh well. i'll try again later..

do i have to update my x11? i still have the version that natively installs with leopard. i remember using gimp in the past and it worked fine. i uninstalled it and now it doesn't work. dunno what changed.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I remember there were updates for X11, but the systems Software Update would reveal it if you need it. Reinstalling Gimp is the only other idea I have. I use to have problems with some fonts that would cause Gimp to crash, but that was a long time ago. Do you use any other X11 apps like Open Office or Seashore? Just wondering if it may be an X11 issue and not Gimp. Though I'm not sure of the process to reinstall X11 if it is the problem. Just something to try.

7. Queso macrumors G4

8. Bonsai1214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for pointing out that thread cromulent. and i used to use seashore, but i never had to open x11 to run it. wasn't aware i had to..

and is it normal for the gimp cursor to lag quite a bit behind the mouse?

still doesn't work... oh well. haha