Gimp: Window mangement?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by C-lon, Aug 28, 2009.

1. C-lon macrumors member

I was wondering how I could change my window preferences; I want to have a similar effect to Photoshop. Basically, I want to operate 3 windows at once. It's annoying having to click the tools window, then click the tool I want.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Put the following into a Terminal window to resolve this issue, though I thought that had been fixed. You may also want to make sure you have the most up-to-date version.

Code:
    defaults write org.x.x11 FocusFollowsMouse -string YES

3. C-lon thread starter macrumors member

Three things: I have the latest Gimp because I downloaded it just yesterday. I also don't know what a "terminal" is. I tried putting the code into Terminal.app as well as X11's terminal, and neither worked.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You don't know what terminal is, yet managed to try the code in Terminal. Interesting.

Anyways, it partly depends on what version you have of items. I'm running X11 2.1.6 and Gimp 2.6.6. For the mouse focus it looks like the property in X11 is wm_ffm (for my X11 anyways), which is essentially the same as the one I gave before, but simply has been renamed by this version. So that will change the command to,

Code:
    defaults write org.x.x11 wm_ffm -bool YES
    This file we're editing with this command is located at ~/Library/Preferences/org.x.x11.plist and can be opened with Property List Editor. (The ~ represents your home directory.) You can check the box for the above property using the Property List Editor app if you prefer that over using Terminal. Just be sure to restart Gimp afterward for the change to take effect.

5. C-lon thread starter macrumors member

Wow! That one worked! Thanks for your help. This is the kind of stuff I really would like to learn to do; the in-depth part of computers with code and everything. So far I've learned all I know on my own, and now I'm very interested to experiment with this Terminal application...