Gimpshop and X11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nvbigmacs, Nov 16, 2007.

1. nvbigmacs macrumors newbie

Hey guys relatively newb mac user here and I'm having some trouble with getting Gimpshop to work and the whole X11 thing is confusing the crap out of me. I've read up on it and still I don't really know how to make it all work.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

For installing X11 be sure to install it from your OS CDs and not from Apple's web site, even if some instructions say to download it. This is usually the biggest problem people run in to. If you need more help than that be more specific as to your exact problem.

4. nvbigmacs thread starter macrumors newbie

10.5 Leopard

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

X11 should be installed by default. Otherwise you can do it from the Optional Installs on the DVD.

GIMP 2.4r3 runs great on my MacBook.

6. nvbigmacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you so much Eidorian...i was using the other download at first (GIMP 2.2.11) but it works perfectly now. appreciate it.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

9. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

GIMPshop is Gimp with customized menu items and shortcut keys designed to mimic PhotoShop. Whereas Gimp can seem a little alien to PS users, GIMPshop can oftentimes be used with PS Tutorials.

As for why GIMPshop isn't working, its because its based on Gimp 2.2 instead of the new 2.4. Gimp 2.2 doesn't play nice with Leopard's implementation of X11.