Girl Gets Bizarre Surprise Instead of iPod

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Dec 28, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

Fox DC

Wow, who got into the iPods? Seems like the box would weigh significantly less if the iPod wasn't in it.

If it was in the shrink wrap it must have been someone at the packaging plant.

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

wow i would be mucho mad if i got that.
    at least she got her mula back:cool:

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Well, that note should be in most of the stuff Wal-Mart sells. I don't know why people are against listening to music though. Unless this person thought that the people listening to them would only be listening to commercialized pop music...

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Well put! I really like the ransom note style of the insert.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why does Apple need to even comment? I mean if the investigation led to the shipment being tampered with prior to it going to Wal-Mart, I think Fox news needs a comment from Wal-Mart regarding their security. Guess true journalistic abilities are lost today.

I think the note is funny but unfortunately it happened to some kid. At least Wal-Mart didn't hassle the guy on the return.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Would have been a much better ransom note if signed by Santa. I give these hoodlums no credit for originality! :D

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe the guilty party bought the iPods, inserted the notes, returned them, and Wal-Mart restocked them without noticing the switch.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

PC World gave my dad an empty iPod Touch box. It was the last in stock at our local shop, few minutes after walking out the door he realised it was a little on the light side!
    No note. Just thin air. 2nd time it's happened at that shop too.

Lawl. Who are these jokers? It's an MP3 player and the best on the market, it's not some capitalistic flag above our heads. It's a means to hear music on the go!

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Hahaha that gave me a good chuckle. It would have only been better if instead of uneven stamped letters they were the stereotypical cut magazines :D

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

What I don't understand is why would the person who stole the iPod in the first place be preaching to someone else about the "media" and their "shackles"?

This has happened at a few Target stores recently as well. One persons box was full of rocks and another had an older model iPod in it. Turns out the store had a shrink wrap machine in the back so it has to be someone at these stores doing it.

11. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I actually stock the cd's there...interesting...never did any ipod stuff though.

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Probably one of Ballmer's little spies. I can hear his smoker's cackle just looking at the note.

13. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Stories like this could force Apple to change the retail packaging design for the iPod classic and touch into something that looks like the packaging used for the iPod nano--essentially a clear case where you can physically see the player itself. I wouldn't be surprised that they do this change within the next 2-3 months.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is a well known shoplifting type scam with large retailers -- buy a product, remove product from packaging, return the empty box for refund claiming it was a gift, or pull a switch on the store shelf exchanging the empty box for a full product, then leave with the product or go to the refund counter.

It can happen with store employees too.

Net result is someone buys an empty box. This is a non-story in relationship to Apple.

15. carlgo macrumors 68000

A friend of mine ordered an, uh, adult device. When the package came, it was empty except for a lot of religious literature saying that she would go to hell for being interested in such a thing.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Shrink wrap machines, while not a household item, are not hard to find. There's at least three where I work.

17. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Was it the fleshlight? Because I ordered some religious literature and got that instead.

18. ZenErik macrumors 6502

19. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What a bizzare rant! I'm sure that the perpetrator discarded the stolen iPod, since he was obviously just interested in making a political statement...:rolleyes:

What a loser.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Do they even check the box to make sure the item is in it when(if) it was returned...gezz

Bless

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yea, happened to me..some one took my 3G Nano out...I was looking in that box for a while before I could admit, it wasn't there.

Yea, but its the best music player on the capitalistic market, so its a good sign.

24. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wal-Mart is supposed to check all returns of iPods before giving a buyer the money back; however, it appears this wasn't the case. The iPod box was returned with a note inside of this. This isn't the first time an item was returned without the item and when the service desk associates get lazy and don't check inside the box this kind of thing is allowed to happen.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tha's a little cazy, to say the least. How horrible.