Girl gets detention for hugging

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Nov 7, 2007.

1. calculus Guest

calculus

“Displays of affection should not occur on the school campus at any time. It is in poor taste, reflects poor judgment, and brings discredit to the school and to the persons involved.”

Good heavens ...

2. mdutch macrumors newbie

mdutch

that's nothing. I got detention in second grade for reading!! and u had to sit and look at the wall and not move. my parents took me out of that school. lol.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i can understand pda between couples but girls hugging each other. even in college that is so common

would this mean people cant shake hands now? where is the line drawn

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Also to be included:

smiling
    winking
    high-fives
    patting butts in sports
    bumping fists
    bumping chests
    sharing a drink
    sharing a note
    holding a door open

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What's next? Do you go to detention for accidentally breathing on someone?

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

man im in trouble. there goes any decency to treating women...or people for that matter

its ok ill be a robot from now on lol

8. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Where's the love? Oh right, it is not allowed.

I guess we need to change the "hugs not drugs" slogan to "neither hugs nor drugs." Catchy, isn't it?

9. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

It is one thing to tell a couple (girl/girl, boy/boy, girl/boy) not to hold hands or make out or stay attached to each other during school. My school had rules regarding that because that can indeed distract from the education and that I understand. What I do not understand is going so far as to saying that a couple or friends couldn't give each other a hug after school.

As others have said, they could take this further and then they are spending more time punishing students then they are actually making a difference in the life of the kids.

10. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Hugging is COMPLETELY inappropriate for a girl that age :rolleyes:

But really, thats messed up, i was taught when i was in lower school to show affection, love everyone, etc.

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

My sophomore year of high school they began separating the freshman classes by sex--Ironically enough, there were more pregnant girls and homosexuals in that grade and each group of freshman thereafter than any other.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hugs are a gateway drug. Kids start hugging each other, next thing you know they'll be fornicating in the corridors between classes.

Kidding! Zero tolerance is such a stupid idea...

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I just gave a verbal warning to one of my students today who, everyday, spends two minutes outside my classroom door before the bell talking and hugging and kissing her boyfriend. Get a room! Better yet, get in the room and do your work!

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

15. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

You see that makes perfect sense to me. The blanket rule does not.

Whatever happened to judgement? The principal determines what is appropriate for the school, the teacher for their classroom.

I don't see why you need to write down a rule "hugging is will get you suspended". The rule should be "inappropriate activity will get you reprimanded or punished." The definition of inappropriate is very situation dependent. That's the way it was when I went to school!

This strikes me as another step in the continuing trend to complete abdication of personal responsibility. People are not allowed to use their experience or judgement to make decisions anymore.

16. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

In middle school the principle outlawed hand shakes and high fives. She was a complete @$$hole.

Hugging is just as bad as punching and slapping it seems.

17. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Holy crap, this is just insane.

Hey, I could be in deep doo-doo here! :eek: I just remembered, I kissed a girl during recess when I was in first grade. This would have been in 1963.
    FrankBlack looks outside to make sure police aren't pulling up, ...

And she grew up to bear a striking resemblance to Uma Thurman...:eek:

18. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I only graduated high school only three and half years ago and people were all over each other everywhere in the school and no one said a damned thing. No one cared and it didn't make education any more distracting. And we're not talking some sort of ghetto school--a good, suburban school with mid-high academic standards. And you can't argue professionality in high school. The super in that article even called it a "campus." How pretentious. Campuses are for colleges.

Half-hugs (that's what we'll call it, based on the description in the article) aren't PDA's in the least, especially not between thirteen-year-old girls. Who is being hurt by allowing girls to hug? No one. Who's being hurt by punishing them? Well, no one is "hurt" but inconvenienced for no reason.

dunno, /rant

19. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

That's just insane.

Saying that you can't hug anybody is basically saying that in school, you should just go do your work, and don't have any social interactions with the students around you.

Unfortunately, contrary to what the school system would like you to think, building up social skills and social interactions are half of what secondary school is about. Telling teenagers that they can't perform a simple activity like hugging sends the wrong message, and I hope the school system changes it's policy rather quickly.