Girl Predicament

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBookPr0, May 22, 2012.

1. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

It's long but thanks for your time!

Hi all and thanks for looking. I recently took a girl to prom and we had a great time. It was on a boat and we spent the majority of the time talking on the top deck. We were looking into each others eyes, smiling, and laughing. She was also kinda pushing up against me. I really felt that she likes me but since then shes been acting different in school, more shy not as talkative when around others, but I have seen her staring at me a few times. She Isn't great about texting back either. I don't know whats up. Is she just nervous or something else? FYI she has never had a boy friend and we are freshmen.

2. phas3 macrumors 65816

She obviously likes you, being that she has never had a boyfriend before she's waiting for you to make the move. Go talk to her ask her to have lunch or coffee with you, just hangout, make her laugh when the time is right you will know.

3. MacBookPr0 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks So Much Man! I'm planning on asking her out to a date at the zoo this weekend tomorrow I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a bad move or misinterpreting her.

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Prom? As a freshman? On a boat? That was big enough to have a top deck?

My senior prom was on a local military base (I'm still not sure why, the school was in no way connected to the military, although our graduation ceremony was in a local megachurch because we had no auditorium and the school was public, so I guess we outsourced everything). The dance room was just like the cafeteria where we had our other dances.

5. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Girls expect guys to take control or if not, at least make the first move. So by her getting close to you, she was likely waiting for something.

At that age, girls are just as insecure and unsure. She's probably already talked to her friends about "I was waiting for him to make a move and he didn't, does he not like me?". She's probably feeling as weird as you are.

<-- This girl's opinion: Just talk to her (physically, not phone or text) and be honest. Tell her how you feel and get some dialogue.

6. MacBookPr0 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I go to a small school that includes the entires school otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to go to places like this.

----------

thanks! I know I can't change the past but I can let her know in the future! Thanks for a woman's point of view

7. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

You don't think she was getting positioned to push you in the tide do you?

KGB:rolleyes:

8. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

:rolleyes: and you just have to ruin the good advice train right?

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He just hates Women. Nothing to see here. :p

She was closing in for a hug/kiss. It was an opportunity missed, but not lost.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Perhaps she saw something on his pants, and was trying to remove it with her crotch? ;)

What I think happened is:

1. She gave you signals that she likes you.
    2. You observed this, and did nothing.
    3. She's a bit hurt, and a bit too embarrassed to look you in the eye at the moment.

The signs seem quite clear, so rather than wait for a big friggin hammer to smack you on the back of the head, perhaps you should just run with the less obvious, but still very obvious, hints that she directed at you that night.

And just because you noticed that she was sending you signals, and she knows that you noticed her signals, does NOT mean that you actually reciprocated. From her point of view, perhaps she thinks that you noticed her signals, but didn't reciprocate because you didn't feel the same way, when, in reality, you didn't because you're like 14 years old, and clueless?

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

It could have been worse. Or better, depending on your point of view... :D:D:D

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Umm... did you not make a move when you guys were on the top deck and she was pressing up against you? You may have missed the boat (pun intended) ;)

Hopefully you get another shot if she agrees to go out with you. But prom is for hooking up, you def should've done something there

13. MacBookPr0 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it was with her side, and at my school (small college prep school) freshmen don't get into the partying and hookup scene. Keeping it classy, and I want to keep it classy.

14. MacBookPr0 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to ask her on a date this afternoon, I'll keep y'all posted!

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

^^^^This. Exactly.

Females that come on to you and don't receive the signal get rather umm...sometimes downright ticked off..

Go up to her and tell her you had a great time and ask her out. ASAP!!

The longer you wait the worse it will get.

Trust me. I've been there many times.

16. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

Definitely want to know what happens here. I remember when I took my girlfriend to prom before we became boyfriend/girlfriend (ex now).. The awkwardness and me not knowing that she was giving me signals definitely made me learn how to play the whole dating/i like you game

17. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

That's probably not what she said...:cool:

18. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Like everyone, I'm pretty sure she likes you. The only suggestion I would add is to take her out for a nice dinner instead of the zoo. There's nothing wrong with the zoo, I just think that taking a girl out to a fancy restaurant makes her feel extra special. Also remember that rejection is better than regret. If you wait too long someone else will come along and ask her out, and then you'll really feel lousy.

19. thekev, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

While this is probably some of the best advice I've read in this thread, I'm concerned that you're confusing the guy. There's way too much adult advice, and the problem there is that adults forget much of this stuff. They only think they remember it.

With a girl you don't even know that well, this seems kind of contrived. I don't think he needs to impress anyone in this way. This is also a weird way to approach someone who isn't returning your texts :p. Whenever I read these threads, they're always filled with bad information.

Edit: I wanted to add, given the OP's obvious stress surrounding the matter, I wouldn't take it so seriously. I'd just say treat her like a person, and if someone really isn't responding, it's time to move on.

20. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

You are apparently young and therefore somewhat new at this. One thing that becomes evident quickly is that women run hot and cold. It's their nature. They are intrigued by you, and at the same time have a fear of the unknown, and so their mood vacillates back on forth. Can be confusing, all of the mixed messages.

While they start out doing this by accident because of their inner conflict, they quickly discover that it keeps you off balance and adds an air of mystery; that's positive feedback, so they then begin to cultivate that, especially if you are responding positively, and if you are into her, you'll be willing to listen to her read the phone book just to be in the same room with her, so however you respond will be interpreted by her as that she must be doing the right thing, even if she isnt.

But that's fine, up to a point. Play the games for a while; see where things go. At first, that's fun. But if you get to a point where you are sure you want to move to the next level, the games have to end. The key to all relationships is honest communication. At this point take charge and have a discussion about this very thing. Mention that you are weary of games and mixed messages (in your most understanding, non-threatening, and charming manner possible), and that you would like to see things evolve beyond that. Lay your cards on the table.

She will either respond positively to that, or negatively. If positively, you're on your way. If negatively, you just found out early that this is a dry hole and that you are wasting your time. That can sting, but it is valuable info and much better than finding out 6 months later.

At that moment it feels like you just lost the only real opportunity you will ever have, which is a pretty universal and scary feeling. But its not real; there are always new opportunities waiting around the next corner. Turn them upside down, they're all the same.