Girl with eight limbs to have surgery

iBlue

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Wow!

Doctors in India are attempting rare surgery to give a chance of a normal life to a two-year-old child who was born with four arms and four legs.

Lakshmi Tatma is joined at the pelvis to what is, in effect, a headless, undeveloped twin.

A team of surgeons in the southern city of Bangalore will be working in shifts to separate Lakshmi's spinal column and kidney from that of her twin.

It is hoped the procedure will allow her to survive beyond adolescence.

"We have just about started the surgery, opened the abdomen so it's very early days yet," the doctor leading the operation, Sharan Patil, told the BBC's World Today programme.

...more
additional link (with an x-ray photo)

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
That poor little baby. I hope the doctors can help her so she can live some semblance of a normal life. It's unbelievable that the circus actually tried to buy her from her parents...

Comment

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
That poor little baby. I hope the doctors can help her so she can live some semblance of a normal life. It's unbelievable that the circus actually tried to buy her from her parents...
Not very hard to figure out what her show name might be...............

Comment

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
that's sad, I hope that the operation goes well and that she can lead a normal life.

Comment

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I didn't mean it in a mean way....

But yea I can see how it was seen that way. I hope she pulls out okay! I couldn't imagine...

Comment

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
........Spidergirl?
She's so cute, but I will admit that one of the pictures of her I saw reminded me of Maggie Simpson in the Halloween episode when she sprouted tentacles... I would post a picture but I don't want to be accused of being heartless.

Comment

lamerlizer

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
singapore
from the news it seems that she was welcomed by the villagers

well i thought it would be great to have an extra pair of hands for multi tasking though...

Comment

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Also, some people of the village were not happy about the operation, since they believe this girl is the reincarnation of the goddess Lakshimi. Here's a picture:

Apparently, the parents believe so too, but they know their baby would not last long like this, so thankfully they decided to operate her anyway. Hopefully she will have a normal life after the operation.

Comment