Girlfriend dropped core duo macbook with audio plug in

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iJawn108, Jan 28, 2010.

1. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

The male audio plug was stuck in the audio jack which suffered some damage after the fall. I tried removing the male plug from the jack and when i put in a new audio out... no sound is coming out. Any suggestions for getting this fixed? I took it too a local apple service center and they said id need a new logic board which would be 600 bucks. :/

thanks for any help.

2. iJawn108 thread starter macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Not really an option right now(for medical reasons i wont get into here) and not worth it...

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If having the plug inside the jack physically damaged the inside of the jack, causing it to appear to have a plug inserted at all times, the only fix is replacing the logic board. Sadly the audio out jack is part of the logic board and not easily replaceable on its own.

You may be able to find a hack or something to force the computer to ignore the jack and allow the internal speakers to work, but that's wishful thinking/brainstorming on my end.

Alternatively, you can buy a replacement logic board (used, yet certified) from www.ifixit.com http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-13"-Core-Duo#0-Logic+Boards They have both the 1.83 and 2ghz models for $350-399. At the moment though, they're all out of stock, perhaps give a call and see if they expect stock coming in the near future. You may be able to find a replacement logic board elsewhere, but I don't know the condition/functional guarantee they may have.