girlfriends MacBook can't connect to internet

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Angelus, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Angelus macrumors 6502

hey everyone, I've searched the forums and tried some of the solutions but to no avail. My girlfriends blackbook can't connect to her home wireless network over airport. The macbook keeps self assigning an ip address even though my MacBook pro and iPhone connect perfectly.

Its really annoying cos her Ethernet port is broken and as a result she has no Internet access.

I've tried:

Rebooting the router
    deleting airport preferences
    changing locations in network settings
    Manually assigning an ip

Nothing works however and I'm at a loss.
    its a 2ghz core2duo running 10.5.2.

Thanks in advance

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I've noticed some wireless access points w/ encryption on will look like they're connected, but if you've entered the key incorrectly they'll not issue an IP. So you THINK you're fine, but actually you're not. Try deleting the stored key from Keychain and reconnecting and be very careful about the password.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Is there any security on the router that you have forgotten about - WEP/WPA or even MAC filtering ??

4. Angelus thread starter macrumors 6502

there's wep alright but the key as far as I know is correct. I'll try it again though to be sure.
    I'll have to investigate the MAC filtering

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you have access to the base station, turn off all encryption and run it bare just until you get the laptop working, or take it to a Starbucks or some place with open wifi.

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Try enabling all incoming connections in the Firewall. Then you can restore the firewall back to its normal state. Sometimes (not always) that fixes this exact problem.