Girls maimed by freight train

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PlaceofDis, May 29, 2008.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

link

i just want to know what they were thinking/doing. i mean wtf is up with people lacking common sense?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Maybe they were trying for the Darwin awards...

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah, so that on my local news... didn't happen far from me.

Anyway, I bet you we will hear that they wanted to get struck by the train. I can't think of any reason why they didn't move.

4. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

they were apparently asleep? but i mean you'd have to be a heavy sleeper to not hear/feel a train.

and trying to get hit? only their legs seemed to take injury. :confused:

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah, supposedly they were sunbathing (but with no headphones on).

Somethings up... just not sure what it is yet. I will hear about it on the local news again tonight.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of cannot feel too sorry for them ...

Failed suicides. :rolleyes:

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I do. They were kids who fell asleep sun tanning. If they were trying to kill themselves, why cut off your foot? Obviously not a pleasant experience, but not necessarily life-threatening.

8. nizz macrumors regular

i can be trippin on acid and still have the sense to not sun-tan on train tracks :/

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

runplaysleep(ontraintracks)run(nomore) = sage advice :eek:

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Wish I was a headlight,
    On a northbound train.

--- I know You Rider--Grateful Dead version.

Dumb girls. Never lie on a railroad track.

11. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

^^^cool^^^

You might think the train will wake you but unless the whistle is blowing, the rattle and roll of the train will lull you to a deeper sleep.

12. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

That is exactly what I thought upon reading the story ;)

I do feel sorry for them, but they did kinda bring it upon themselves...

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Doubt it.

If so, they would have been using the track for a pillow.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But that's why I don't feel sorry for them. I'm sorry, but even at the "young" age of 13 and 14, you'd know better than to sleep on railroad tracks.

And even if I was sleeping, I'm very certain I'd be able to feel the vibrations on the ground as the train was coming, and I'm a heavy sleeper.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm sort of wondering if they were drunk when they decided it was OK to tan on the tracks.

If that is the case, that is about as smart as a redneck beer and guns moment.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Where have the parents been?

I hate blaming others, but these girls are 14 years old. Have their parents taught them nothing?

17. David G. macrumors 6502a

Apparently not. And to think I want to become an Elementary School teacher.:eek:

18. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

I'm guessing they are talking to lawyers about how much they are going to sue the railroad for.

Yeah, it's crappy, but that's the way it is in the U.S. now. In torts class we learned about a guy who cut off most of his fingers by picking up a running lawnmover and successfully sued for hundreds of thousands.

19. Scubajay macrumors regular

Scubajay

In my job I attend many many railway related incidents such as this and I can say from personal experience that a moving train arrives a lot quicker than you think. If the girls were asleep then by the time they had woken and heard the noise it would have been too late. In the last 8 years I have attended over 30 rail suicides and accidents and of all them precisely 1 survived, and only that one because of police intervention.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not allowed anymore. Society forbids the fear of pain approach now, so kids just do whatever they wish.

21. alFR macrumors 68020

Er, what exactly does the "fear of pain approach" (whatever that is) have to do with saying "Don't play on the train tracks, you'll get hit by the train and it'll really hurt you or kill you"? You're not exactly beating them to within an inch of their lives ("DON'T.... (thwack) PLAY.... (thwack) ON.... (thwack) THE.... (thwack) TRACKS"), are you?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is that working now??

For some kids, I guess it does. But for others a hand on the backside would be a nice option.

Now the kids just laugh at you, and call the police.

23. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Hehe.

Anyway... I think they got away lightly. As was mentioned earlier, it's not often you get hit by a train and live.

Why would you sun bathe on train tracks!? Its not like it would be comfortable. The wood would give you splinters, the tracks would be really hot and you could get hit by a train.

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I was just trying to figure that out. Take away, for a moment, the risk of being hit by a train, and imagine yourself sunbathing on a train track. How on earth do you get comfortable? Not only are the ties lumpy, but the whole railbed is coarse gravel. Probably they were laying down lengthwise, between the rails. When they heard the train come, they would have scrambled to get out of there but didn't make it in time, thereby losing legs and feet in the process as they were trying to jump clear.