Give a youngster some help please!!!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJJONES, Mar 9, 2008.

1. DJJONES macrumors 6502

hey guys, im looking forward to buying a macbook pro 2.5ghz. the 2500 buck model. i am a dj and i will be using it a for audio production and also for rane serrato. i currently have a hp q6600 quad core running 3gb memory and vista i think its a wicked fast computer! im hoping that the macbook can get the same speed or even faster?. i will put vista on it in the future or maybe until i manage to afford the vista disc after i get the mac. i did some research and learned that theres only a few differences btw the 2500 and 2000 buck model. is there a huge difference in performance? i am young around 17 years old and 500 bucks is a huge deal to me. but i am getting lucky because i think i can get the macbook pro at guitar center on a credit card 1 year no payment and intrest free i have bought most my gear that way. also how much space does mac osx and all the other progs take up on the hd? i keep forgetting to check this at the apple store. i am looking for some advice from some the guys on these forums because i have never owned a mac but they look very ******** free and reliable which is important to the work that i do. i am also going to purchase rane sertao which is a djing program for about 540 and i figure with the macbook pro plus that would be around 3200$ but if the basemodel is suitable i can end up spending a lil less maybe 2800 or so. thanks for the help.

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Well, the best friendly advice I can give you at the moment is that you should try writing more clearly if you want people to give you help. No paragraph breaks makes text really hard to read. I'm not saying you need to write your comment as if a teacher were grading it, just make it so your ideas are clearly expressed and without making it hard for the reader.

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you're still young..
    don't burn yourself with credit card debts!
    go with the base model
    or try the clearance dept from apple online and get the previous gen MBP.
    you can still do everything you want to do there!

save some money kid:D

4. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry man your right lol im just excited thats all:):D

ur right at guitar center there blowing out the last gen base model mbp for 1700. if i can get the 2500 buck last gen model for 2g i will get that if not i think i will settle for the base model current gen.
    thanks!

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If I were you, and absolutely *had* to get an MBP, I'd get the $1500 refurbished model at Apple.

6. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

This is what I'm getting in a few months. I plan on using the same program for DJing but your not gonna get speeds as fast as that quad core intel you got on your desktop. Just get the 15" base model and upgrade the ram yourself and buy and external hard drive.

7. daysgoby macrumors newbie

i got the same one that ur planning on getting.
    i'm interested in photgraphy stuffs and video editing and i heard it is excellent.
    although, 7200rpm 200gig hd upgrade is strongly recommended..

u seem to have a great pc system there so i'm not sure why u would need a mac other than if the program is not availble on pc.. but there are so many other programs availble for pc..

if i were u, i would sell the pc and go full out on mac if not just use pc.
    at ur age, u really don't wanna be stressing to pay bills so u can have a shiny new computer, grab some technics and practice scratching.. haha

anywayz, as far as the spec goes find out what the requirement is for the program and compare it with the one u wanna get. i think that way u'll get a sense on its capability.

8. wk127001 macrumors member

I can tell you one thing, it won't be as fast as your desktop, no way. I have a similar setup and there are no laptops apple or not that could beat it on the market today.

9. daysgoby macrumors newbie

10. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

o lordddd!!! some great advice guy wow i thank all of you!!! well in order to use serato i deffinitley need laptop to run the program. and if im djing out at a club or party i dont want to lug a desktop computer around hell no!. i just finished paying off for my desktop 1400 bucks plus a freaking 22 inch samsung screen its wicked paid 325.

i will keep all my music in a 500gb lacie external which is loadedddd right and is gonna need upgrading soon.

the reason why im aiming towards the mbp is because i can get it financed and have the ability to pay for it over a 1 year time without paying intrest unless i take longer then a year to pay.

im am dead set on getting the mbp basemodel dont see the point of getting the 2500 buck model for .1ghz difference and 50 gb space difference.

so i take it that going to apple or any manufacturer and purchasing a laptop wont yield a computer that can beat a quad core system. i thought quad core system was overkill i have read on few different sites that some programs dont fully utilize all the cores or what ever.
    im not the kind of guy that know a whole lot about computers but just enough where i can understand simple specs etc.

11. daysgoby macrumors newbie

hmm ever since i stopped playing alot of computer games
    my need for upgrade has been greatly reduced.. my pc desktop i have
    is about 3 years old and still does everything i need just fine.
    running photoshop cs3 (latest version) and vegas for video editing.
    (my pc is Pentium 4 with 2 gig of ram)

reason i say this is because like hoopdy said, u might not have to get the
    latest mac to run the program u need. u can save alot of money if u opted
    for refurb models and still runs the program perfectly fine. that way
    u have some money left over for ram upgrade and other dj gears.

i just got my new mbp, my first mac by the way.
    but my gf's got imac so i had a chance to get used to mac interface which doesn't take too long by the way to get used to..
    i was thinking of getting a refurb and using the hell out of it, not worry 'bout
    scratches.. since i need to take it to location alot.

but now... my mac is more like some kinda sacred object in a shrine..
    even a finger print on the keyboard bothers me haha

12. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

ill keep that in mind i think ill prolly just limit my macbook to just using the serato program and surfing the web wen im on my couch but i ususally use my iphone for that. i will try to get the last gen mbp from gc at a discounted price i will find out tommrow wen i pay my gc bill.
    i wont make a purchase atleast till nextweekend i still need my dad to go with me etc help me out lol. hez been there for every purchase hez the man!!:cool:

thanks for the help!

13. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

I know you really want the MBP, but are you going to use anything that utilizes the video card that comes with the MBP? If not, I would just get the Black Macbook, which would be better because it`s more portable and yields everything the MBP would have except for the better video card and 13" screen instead of the 15".

Save yourself some money and get the Blackbook. Perfect for your DJ needs.

14. daysgoby macrumors newbie

if u got iphone, i think that can sync with mbp through wifi?? or bluetooth or something.. uploading schedules.. etc etc..

15. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

im going to find out about getting one the blackbooks but i dont think they carry them instore at GC or order them either but i will find out i rather spend 2gs then 2500. the extra 500 for the serato software.

16. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Not to mention the Blackbook is dope looking and has everything a MBP would have except for the better graphics card, which you wouldnt really use.

17. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

i hope i dont loose it in the dark !!!

18. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Damn, I totally missed the fact that when I'm using my tables at a party it's almost always too dark to see the keys...Now that really makes me want the MBP because it does have backlite keys.

It's your call but I'm personally thinking the MBP again. Everytime I re-think it I go back and forth.

19. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

well the 500 bucks i save if i do get one those im sure i will have enough to buy a lil drop light some something lol.

i gotta thank all you guys for chipping in and posting ur 2cents cuz my mind has changed completley within the last 2 hours lol thanks!

20. wk127001 macrumors member

Its true a lot of apps out there are not multi-threaded (they don't utilize all possible cores) but a desktop has a host of other advantages including the chipset, faster hard drives, faster RAM, and better graphics cards.

Desktops are about shear performance, laptops are about a mix of decent performance and practicality.