Give girlfriend my photos?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattrgee, Aug 29, 2009.

1. mattrgee macrumors member

Hi all,

My girlfriend has finally bought a MacBook but now she needs a copy of our photo's from my iPhoto library. The library contains around 12,000 photo's although she will not want all of them. She also has her own iPhoto library that she wants to keep, so some my photo's need to be merged with her library.

I've shared my iPhoto library with her and she can see the photo's in the 'Originals' folder but this is quite cumbersome. Many photo's have been edited and the event name is not the same as the folder name within the Originals folder. This makes it difficult to see what events she already has and which ones she still needs.

So what is the best way to get these photos to her? Connectivity exists between our Macs so files can be transferred if need be. I also use Time Machine to backup my library.

Thanks.

2. roger6106 macrumors regular

I'd like to be able to give my parents some or most of the photos in my iPhoto library. Currently I am able to get onto the same network as them, but soon I will be moving. I will then need to mail them discs with pictures. I would like to have the pictures include at least the location information, and if possible, the face names. How would I go about doing this?

If I export the files as maximum jpg file size, the files are much larger. If I export the file as current (or drag them out of iPhoto), the location data is not added to the files. Neither of these methods include the names of people.

3. womble2k2 macrumors regular

You didn't say which version of iPhoto you have. I will assume your girlfriends is 09.

I believe, but not tried it myself, is to make sure your photos are well organised into events and / or albums first. If you set up sharing on a network as described in iPhoto help, then your girlfriends PC should show the events / albums. She should then be able to select what we wants through the Import to library option under the File menu.

I may try this myself later tonight as we are in exactly the same situation. My GF has just bought a 13 inch MBP, and wants about 1/3 of the photos from my iPhoto library.

Hope it works.

Phil

4. mattrgee thread starter macrumors member

The sharing in iPhoto does work not but not as you would expect. When viewing shared photos you can see albums but not events, so if like me you organise your photos by event then this isn't really an option.

iLife 09 on both machines.

5. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Try using either Flickr or Mobile Me and she can subscribe to your photo feed and you can put up the ones she's most likely to want. Mobile Me offers a free 40GB trial and I don't recall the size Flicker's free account allows. Between the two accounts, she should be able to access all the pics you've got. If not, just put them up in batches until she's picked through all the ones she wants.

HTH ... Cheers! :cool:

6. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Just as I thought (and have done, previously), follow this guide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229

You just copy the library package over, from ~/Pictures to your girlfriend's ~/Pictures.

[​IMG]

Great idea - send them UP to the net, and then have her download them again, sort them, import them... etc... :rolleyes: talk about adding layers of complexity!. LOL.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

But that will just copy over hers. I'd just drag and drop all the pictures into her iPhoto window.

8. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

You can copy your iPhoto library to her Desktop, and then double click it to launch iPhoto 09. iPhoto 09 will ask you if you want to switch libraries, because I just tried it on my Mac mini.

After this, you can SWITCH libraries, as detailed in iPhoto help:

[​IMG]

9. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Actually not all that complex. I've been using Flickr and it exports them as they are sorted in your library. It's a single click from the application to put em up and a simple matter of subscribing to the feed to bring em back down.

10. mahood macrumors member

Have you tried making an album of the ones she wants, and simply burning it to a disk? (Just select the album and click the 'burn' button on the bottom right of the window) Then you can put that disk into her Mac, and it'll show up in iPhoto and she can copy them across....

It seems daft to have to use a CD/DVD to do it, but I can't see a simple way to do it otherwise. You can 'export' the images but I gather from the other replies that it doesn't work well.

Hope this helps!

Mark

11. mattrgee thread starter macrumors member

Is it me, or does there not seem to be sensible way to do this?

I guess I could make albums for the ones she wants, but again this is probably about 70% of all my photos and creating albums for 8000 photo's just so she can take a copy of them seems a bit odd.

Ah well, in the end I shared my iPhoto library with her at file level and let her copy the events she wanted from the Originals folder within the iPhoto library. The only problem with this is that Originals doesn't contain any modified photos (as the name suggests). So we had to copy the modified photos over as well!

All in all a bit of a ball-ache.

12. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Yes there is a simple way. Click on your iphoto library, show package contents, go to the event you want under originals (it's sorted by date too I believe), copy the folder to your desktop, then send it to her via Bonjour ichat on the same network. she drags the folder into her iphoto and bam. all there. wash, rinse, repeat as necessary.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's been a long time since I did this, but I'm sure I have done it and it's a fairly straightforward way of doing this. When you burn the albums to a disc, iPhoto should have access to all its own information about the photos, and she can just drag the albums into her library.

How big's your library? Will it fit on a DL DVD or smaller?

14. mattrgee thread starter macrumors member

That's what I did, but like I say its not a very good option. I crop, edit and touch up the majority of my photos all these edits are lost when copying the originals folder. Sure the contents of the Modified folder can be copied as well but this has to be merged with the originals folder. I suspect other information is lost as well, such as face tagging.

At 32GB my photo library is pretty big, with two networked machines it seems silly that the photo's can't be transferred while maintaining the changes that have been made and any new information thats been added.