Give it a try?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattFleming, Jul 21, 2007.

1. MattFleming macrumors newbie

For the last six months I have been thinking about getting an iMac. I am waiting until the refresh before I purchase it. The problem is that I have really never used a mac before. So I there is part of me that wants to try it out before I make the big purchase. Any ideas? I thought about purchasing the bottom of the line iMac and using it for a week then returning it because then I just pay the 10% restocking fee. That way it if I did not like it, it would only cost me $100.

Looking for advise,

Matt

2. Samwise592 macrumors regular

I switched cold turkey and i didn't have any problems getting used to the interface. If you can let go of the "windows" way to do things, switching will be very easy. Everything is put right where it should be. If you really want to try one out, go to a store and ask one of the employees a question. If you're gonna buy, buy what you want... because i guarantee you wont want to part with your first one for a second! :apple:

And as always, if you've got problems, this forum is a great resource and we're always willing to help.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Buying, and never look back. Thats what I need, and I loved it. When I took the jump it was PPC Macs only, so no Windows(Virtual PC, but it was SLOW), now if you buy a Mac, and don't like OS X, you can install Windows easy.

Or go to your local Apple store, spend a few hours using a Mac there. Any friends with a Mac? Spend a while using their's

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

It may sound silly, but I'd suggest finding a "task" to do and then either go to an Apple store, Best Buy or at best a friend's house; anywhere you can focus uninterrupted.

My suggestions totally depend on what you do, with both your time and just for fun. For instance, much of my work is processing photographs from the camera raw files to jpegs, correct, crop, resize, post. So that's what I set out to do when I first started using a Mac.

Write a short paper (if you're a student). Publish a website (if you're a web developer). The goal here is to see if you can use it, not if you go faster or it's easier or better... There's obviously a learning curve. Having the knowledge that you can get work done on a Mac is pretty important before you jump.

HTH, ab

P.S., A Mac is also one of the nicest machines to run Windows on anyway, so Even if you end up not liking OS X.... ;)

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

This is an excellent idea. Just playing with one for a few minutes is just enough to be confusing: where's the Start menu? Why doesn't maximize work? If you have no "task", or even if you do, it is probably worth spending a few dollars on David Pogue;s "Switching to the Mac: Tiger Edition". best wishes.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, I am sure whatever Mac you purchase you will be very happy with. If you want to just check it out, then I would go to an Apple store and play around with Mac OS X and ask the employees any questions you may have- they are generally very knowledgeable and friendly. :)

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Don't worry about using it. It is one of the easiest things to do. It will take a few days, but once that happens, you'll find using a Windows PC to be a drag. I went cold turkey, and it worked out just fine.

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Like others have stated, go and use one in the Apple store. Mac OSX is simple to learn and doesn't require you to pay the restocking fee to "rent" one before you buy. If you want additional help, you could purchase a OnetoOne membership or sit in on some of the workshops they have in the Apple store.

http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone/

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I know people who have switched cold turkey (myself included) and i had no problem using my mac. If you are computer literate at all it will be very easy to learn to use your mac to its greatest extent

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Even if you are not computer literate (like my mom) learning to use it is very, very easy. She learend stuff faster on my mbp than she did on Windows.