give kids password in family sharing?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by tibati, Sep 22, 2014.

1. tibati macrumors newbie

hi all,

i've set up family sharing, including for my 12yo daughter's ipod touch. however, when she goes in the app store and tap on an app she wants, it always prompts her to enter her apple ID password (which she didnt have before) and THEN she gets the prompt "ask to buy"...

so does that mean i have to give her her apple id password? why can't there just be a prompt to "ask to buy"?

thanks

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

3. tibati thread starter macrumors newbie

i had read that before.... she had her own apple Id but she didnt have the password. so i had to enter it myself to see what she wanted to buy. i'm often away so i thought this "ask to buy" was going to be great. but if it still prompts for password, it's pointless. it's just one more step in the process.

4. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

I understand that it is an extra step, but with your daughter being twelve couldn't you just provide her with her own password that she would be required to remember, then when she does want to purchase something all you have to do is approve or deny?

That way you wouldn't have to input the password yourself. Just a thought.

I just setup my family sharing this weekend and discovered this same thing.

5. tibati thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure I could. I just thought the whole point was that they didn't have to know the password and just "ask to buy". I find it's pointless now. As I say it's even more steps than before.

I guess I won't have a choice. Unless someone knows how to turn off the requirement for password prompt.

And what about 5yo kids? They'll have to type in their passwords too?

6. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Lol you hit my situation on the head. Have a 5yo and an 8yo. When trying to use an easy password it told me it was too simple.

I agree and wish there was a way to not require a password for them it would make it easier. I haven't found a way to turn it off. So if someone does know how would love to know.