Give Launchpad a chance, it does make sense!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jonathanc, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jonathanc macrumors newbie

I have been reading lots of posts on this and other forums regarding the "uselessness" of Launchpad on Lion. But I think this feedback on it is quite harsh and in fact it is a good addition to OS X.

Many have citied the existence of dock, spotlight and finder already as reason enough not to need another application to perform the same task.

But I would suggest that just because these exist and are already in use by many people, that they cannot be effectively replaced or improved upon.

Let's look at a couple of examples:

Capacity

Neither the dock or dock stacks, have the ability to display a large number of icons without getting crowded, especially on a small screen. On my 13" MBP for example, I have been using a small dock with large magnification to deal with the problem. Also recently have reduced the number of icons in the dock to the daily essentials and started using the app stack in list format for everything else. But in either list or grid format I have to do a bit of scrolling, especially if I want to open Aperture, iMovie and Wunderlist at the same time. Yes, I can type A, I and W to speed things up, but still takes a bit longer.

With a 3 finger and thumb pinch I can bring up a grid with 40 apps available with one click, or if I use folders to the max, then access to hundreds of apps with 2 clicks. And if you have more than 500 apps you also can go onto extra pages.

For this Launchpad gets a +1

Sorting and configuring

Launchpad allows you to drag your apps into whatever order you wish and with the inclusion of folders, you can group apps together as you wish. Yes, the dock allows you to move icons about too, but as discussed in 1st section, you are limited to how many icons you can have before it gets crowded. Stacks doesn't offer any option to drag into a custom order.

Another + 1 for Launchpad

When not in use

Dock has an autohide feature, which means it disappears of the bottom of the screen when not in use. But this feature is quick clunky and sometimes can be slow returning when you place the cursor at the bottom of the screen. Dock also has the issue that when autohide is disabled that if you are doing something at the bottom of the window, sometimes you can hit the edge of the dock and suddenly the icon jumps up over what you are trying to read or click on .

Launchpad solves both these issues, it is completely hidden when not in use and doesn't cause unwanted interference with active windows.

---

Taking these three elements, plus others, it is hard to see why so many are hating the launchpad or citing it as useless.

There is more than enough to make it great addition to OS X

2. johnhw macrumors 6502

On a MBA it makes sense. Little dock items with many choices on Launchpad. However, on a 27" iMac or a 30" Cinema Display, it doesn't make sense at all.

3. Simplicated, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

This. Launchpad makes sense when the screen is small. But when you have a large screen, replacing everything on there with app icons that are 2-inch large really obscures your workflow.

Luckily, this is totally optional and you could just drag the Applications folder back to the Dock, or launch apps any way you are used to.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

+1. I'd go as far as to say that it only makes sense on a MBA tbh. It looks ridiculous on my iMac.

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Good write up on the use of Launch Pad

I haven't used it yet, so may change my mind after using it, but I personally do not like the idea, even though I am on a small screen MacBook

The Apps I use for 90% of the time are in the dock, so 1 click access

Apps I use rarely I can quickly get through spotlight (CMD+Space, type fi, hit enter) to open firefox very quickly

Any others I quickly get at through the Apps folder in the dock, I find scrolling through this in 'List' view much easier that looking at big icons of the app

6. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Just try to remove an app from launchpad, or multiselect a bunch with your mouse or trackpad or start an app on page 4 faster then i can do "command + space + two letters".....

7. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

personally i love it .. i have removed everything from my dock except finder and rubbish bin and i use shortcut to launchpad now for apps - now the dock only shows me whats open

love it

8. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I think launchpad makes perfect sense and i think its something that im going to use a lot. Especially now the mac app store is so addicting to try out new apps , you can store them all in launchpad very easily.

9. lomby macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I completely agree with the op. Until updates are done and you have given it a go. But until those happen your judgements are premature. You never know it might even grow on you. This post is not supposed to upset anyone and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just give it a chance is all that I'm asking :) :)

10. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Very much agreed. On my 27" iMac Full-Screen Safari is a little too much at time. On my MBA it would work perfect. Lion is definately catered toward the mobile user with a lot of these enhancements which isn't a bad thing if you have a laptop. Just serves no purpose on a large screen.

11. lomby macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Absolutely agree :D

12. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

App store has one major flaw though. When you try hundreds of apps through the app-store they will remain in your "purchased" overview forever, even when you remove the app from your mac. So you will *always* keep getting update notification badges for *all* apps you ever tried out.

For me this renders the app store totally useless. i dont't want an update notification for some lite apps after i already purchased the full version.

The launchpad is giving me lots of smudges on my screen, i keep pushing and holding apps to make them wobble and remove them.

13. lfc macrumors regular

No it doesn't. When you remove the app it shows up as not installed and doesn't give you any update notifications for it. It only gives notifications for apps you currently have installed.

14. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Well on my mbp 2010 it gives me update badges for stuff i don't have installed anymore. For instance i have removed evernote from my system but the appstore still shows updates for it......

15. jpg macrumors regular

+1

Same here

16. chillvisio macrumors member

chillvisio

QuickSilver for the win. It is more productive than dock, spotlight and launchpad in the same time. And it is being improved in any single version.

17. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

sorry, imo, wrong on all counts. Still useless.

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

To the OP, excellent write up.

I'm celebrating the choice to continue running 10.6.5, the last of the OS X revs before app store / Lion mania.

I find apps both useful and well done on my iP4 & iPad 2. Yet that said, I find the Mac app store of no interest or value to me.

Perhaps at some future time that will change, but my well optimized 15" 2010 8GB, SSD equipped MBP is too fast and trouble free to mess with. It's the best of all the MBP's I've had and does everything I need to do with ease.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Personally, I still find no use for Launchpad. Spotlight is just so fast and easy - no time will be spent on navigating the cursor for instance. I still have no reason to bash Launchpad, some people will definitely find use for it. Every single one of the old app launching methods are present so IMO it's ridiculous to bash Launchpad. Nobody is forcing you to use it.

20. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

For you.

21. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

You know, it's funny I read a lot of people using Spotlight. I never use it. In fact, I'm not even sure how to use it. I just have all my most common programs on the Dock and everything else in an Applications folder on the Dock. I guess Launchpad will replace the Applications folder.

22. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Yes it makes seance, used it in earlier OSes back in the day. Will mean a less crowded dock.

23. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Good post and replies.

Launchpad on a small display makes perfect sense. Combine that with the choice of wether or not to use it and it's a win in my book.

24. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

While I agree about the advantage of Launchpad on a smaller screen, you can't say that it's better than Spotlight for launching apps. Nothing is easier or faster than spotlight. I use both the dock and an Applications stack and I still launch almost everything I need from Spotlight. There's no need to sort anything when you use spotlight.

25. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

fully agree with this, add any feature and give user an option is great, no complaints with that, everyone is happy